cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

Thank you.  I tried your solution.  I got all of the way to entering the random IP number.  I couldn't figure out how to convert from letters to the numbers.  It would only type letters.  

Please fond below instructions how to change from letters to numbers:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART141291

Same here @KenShead!

I am having the Exact same problem!

I tried the disconnect and press the button 10x’s and that did no help.

Please CANON fix this problem for ALL of us!!

With the cost of everything people can’t afyto just go buy a new printer.

aanelli
Apprentice

Same thing happened to my MX492. Around Memorial Day 2022, I did notice before the weekend it was suggesting to download the latest firmware, which I didn't get around to doing. Now I can't get into settings to disable wifi if that is part of the power cycling problem. Tried unplugging. Can't communicate with my laptop. I may need to go buy an epson if Canon doesn't post the fix.

I have a Pixma MX490. I noticed this problem around May 31st. I see all these posts are around the same time frame. To be honest, I don't have the computer savvy or patience to deal with my modem and wifi. All my computer wires are difficult for me to access. As a few of you mentioned, Canon needs to fix this now or give us a rebate on a new purchase. I never had problems with my Canon printers in the past. I guess I'll have to buy a new printer... not sure if it's going to be a Canon this time.

Tcsnron
Apprentice

The problem is somehow being caused by the wi-fi connection. I had some success by turning off my router to regain control of the printer, then did a factory default reset using the panel buttons following the instructions in the online manual. This apparently broke the wi-fi connection and I was able to turn the router back on without the recycling issue. I could then print using the USB connection from my desktop. Of course I can’t air print from my phone with the wi-fi disconnected from the printer, but I can now use the internet and print using the desktop. I’m standing by awaiting a more permanent fix from Canon.

kedikj29
Apprentice

My MX490 is doing the continuous power cycling and initialization as well.  I have never had the Wifi turned on or setup for the printer and it has always been accessed via USB cable directly to PC for printing / scanning functions.  I am experiencing the exact same thing as everyone else symptoms wise, just no Wifi involved whatsoever.  My menu just shows the Canon logo and all buttons are unresponsive as everyone else has mentioned.  For what it's worth, I am using third-party ink cartridges and have been for over three years with no issues.  Not sure if that is part of the problem or the entire problem as a whole.

Hi @kedikj29, try disconnecting the modem altogether and see if the printer does power on. Then you will be able to follow the other instructions. Even though you didn’t use the wireless printing option it might be still configured. 
good luck

Tonylmiller
Contributor

I just tested my printer again. No change, still power cycling. It is very difficult to believe that Canon has let this continue for more than one day. If I have to buy another printer, it will definitely be a different brand.

Announcements