cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

Sorry for the late update but, it did not work long for me. It worked for about a day until I turned off my printer. Once I turned the printer off and back on it kept cycling on and off again itself. 

Did you do the update? If so, try changing the DNS number of your printer. I didn't do the update only changed the DNS number and my printer has operated fine since. 

werdrapraprap
Apprentice

This works, thanks Polls22!

1.  Unplug your printer from the outlet (it'll now be powered off)

2.  Go to the modem in your house for your cable and internet.  Disconnect all of the cords and let it sit for a couple minutes.

3.  Go plus the printer back in and it'll start up without the cycling (problem isn't solved yet) which will allow you to then access the Menu on the printer.  Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Choose a random IP number. I just made up a random one using this format192.158.1.38 (hell use that number if you want).  Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration.

4.  Go and plug back in all the wires on your cable/internet modem.  Once that connection is restored the printer will work.

By George, I think we've got it. As long as user does not want web services thru their printer, this will work as we are only disabling the "connection" from printer to the web, NOT our wireless network connection from other devices (computer) to the printer.

RIGHT? 😉

Qsmuse
Contributor

I think this was caused by Cannon. I found this article and it works. Problem is until Cannon fixes what the screwed up you will only be able to print via a USB cord.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/1/23150498/canon-pixma-printer-reboot-loop-mx492-solution

That's not accurate.  If you follow the instructions to 'remove' access to the internet (change the DNS address in Web Services to a non-DNS address), you will still be able to print wirelessly on your local network (no USB required).

Thank you for agreeing SamS1. And thx to MANY here for this solution...better than my original which required printer ON forever, or redo! Sent reply procedure to Qsmuse. Been printing all day using wireless AFTER the fix. Also manually turning printer on and off in between, various timing. No cycling at all for HOURS!

BUT CANON STILL NEEDS TO REALLY FIX WHATEVER HAPPENED...AND NOW! Instead of some smart people teaching us how to essentially disable some printer functions.

That solution works for printing wirelessly. I've been doing it all day. From laptop to printer. At least it seems the same as copy below. NOT a REAL solution tho CANON! Fix it for REAL!

To begin, I used my IP address, changed a bit for this fix. Get it at computer control panel--view network status--connections (hyperlinked, gives wifi status when clicked)--details button--write down IPv4 address. Unplug printer while it's off. Unplug router. Plug printer back in and it will start. On mine & I think most, press "tools" button, gives you setup menu. Use arrows to move thru selections and OK to make selection. Arrow thru to web service setup, OK. Arrow to DNS server setup, OK. Arrow to manual setup, OK. I had all zeroes here, used my IP address but changed last 3 to 006, but I think any number will work, OK. (My wireless requires key/password and I hope yours does too, but it's wrong anyway so...) Then select NO option. Printer will do its thing. When menu comes back, I think press the tools button again to exit. Then plug router back in. It will take awhile for it to reboot and your wireless service to return. When it does, you can wireless print/work again. On and off creates no issues. In effect, this disables your printer's capability of connecting to the web (cloud?), but does NOTHING to your local wireless.

Thanks, that is the problem. How on earth could Canon do such a big big mistake?

countryroads
Apprentice

Canon Pixma MX90 powers on and goest through initialization, then powers off.  It repeats the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.  It is the same problem that everyone has experienced on the same day.  Mine began last night and continues today.  CANON FIX THIS PLEASE!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements