cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

Yeah, I completely agree with you that CANON needs to address this SYSTEMIC FAILURE.

These automated replies are so unhelpful it becomes more an offence to the people having this issue.  Especially when the same post is used multiple times.  If you are a real person, stop hitting the auto reply and actually be helpful.  Given the number of people with this exact issue, it's very apparent that the machines are not the problem, but rather something on Canon's end.  A firmware, a change in the server that the printers connect to for whatever reason, etc.  When you use a response like this, and then people are told to buy a new printer, you spit on the face of everyone who uses your brand and will absolutely cause people to go to competitor brands.

No Arthur this is not a solution 

This is clearly a SYSTEMIC problem and the most logical source of the OOPS! is CANON. As others have said, the "solution" posted is not permanent, but a temporary workaround at best, since functionality becomes limited thereafter. Why are we not hearing from Canon on this widespread FAILURE of its printers? Where is Canon's integrity and commitment to its customers? I have always purchased Canon products (printers, cameras, etc.), but this will certainly be my last if the company doesn't resolve this SYSTEMIC FAILURE. I am quickly losing confidence in the company due to its ineffectual and self-serving response to users to "buy a new printer". There is NO GUARANTEE that we won't find ourselves in the same situation with a Canon printer in the future. I'm rather disgusted by Canon's lack of accountability. I pity the tech support staff who have to dish out the company line on this.

clp
Apprentice

Turning the router off stopped the printer from endlessly rebooting, but now I can't run my business without WiFi.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone from Canon would acknowledge the identical problem we're all having at the same time and tell us you're doing XYZ to resolve our problem by such and such a date or time. Please help us.

argh!  I cannot believe it's so many of us with the exact same problem!! mine started almost 1 hour ago. Please, somebody help us all.

Was yours hooked up via wifi? Maybe they sent an update via wifi and ended up messing all these printers 

Screenshot_20220531-200723_Chrome.jpg

I have a Maxify 2320 printer that was turning on and off as described. It is connected wireless by WiFi to my home internet. Tried multiple things but the only one that worked was turning my modem off, leaving it off while counting to 10, then turning it back on (ie, restarting or rebooting it), while the printer remained plugged into power. All functions returned to normal now for several hours and with multiple printings wirelessly. Only time will tell if it will continue to work but will report again later if the problem returns.

I got my 492 to work again by doing the following:

1. Unplug the printer and turn off the router. 

2. Turn on the printer and reset it to factory defaults. (search 'reset mx492' for how to do this)

3. Turn on the router and update the firmware.

You may have to turn off or unplug the printer if it gets hung up cycling during some of this.

It seems to work now. Hope it works for you as well.

Announcements