cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIDE 400 and MAC Image Capture

dgm1950
Apprentice

I've been scanning old photo albums using an old Canon LiDE 220 scanner and Mac's Image Capture application. More recently I thought I'd upgrade to the LIDE 400 scanner but was surprised when I tried to use it that it didn't work as well with Image Capture as did the LIDE 220. When the LIDE 400 is used, the options in Image Capture are more limited: no ability to acquire TIFF images  using "billions" of colors, no "descreening" option among other deficiencies. Apparently this is due to newer scanners being required to use "Air Print" with Macs. Is there any way around this? In other words is there any way I can use the LIDE 400 with a fully functional Image Capture like I'm able to do with the LIDE 220?  I'd send the scanner back but unfortunately I purchased it from the Canon Store and their return policies aren't very lenient..

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you aren't able to get a Canon or Apple resolution perhaps VueScan by Hamrick Software would work for you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I understand, we all have our favorite programs and are used to the way they work and it's frustrating to pop it open with a new device and stuff just... is gone. I was a little lost when I bought the LiDE 400 trying to use it's utility. But, it didn't take long to get it to where I wanted. Try the Canon IJ Scan Utility that came with the scanner, it may work for you. It has cases that you can modify, then once it's set up you just click the case or press the scan button. I really didn't like it at first, but it didn't take long to get to know it. Attached is what you see when you click "Settings". I hope this helps.

Newton

IJ Scan Settings.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks. I did try Canon's IJ Utility tonight and it does work although, in my opinion, not as well as "Image Capture". I was surprised to discover that if I put 4 photos on the scanner, it did a good job of autodetecting and scanning each. It would be nicer if there were a preliminary "overview" scan to look at before initiating the actual scan just to make sure that the image margins for one or multiple photos were accurately detected. It seems that now the only way to know if the results are satisfactory is to open the images after the scan is completed. It seems more efficient to be able to check that before the actual scan is done. I compared scanning the same photo using Image Capture with the LIDE 220 and LIDE 400 scanners and then with the LIDE 400 scanner using Canon's IJ Utility. The resultant TIFF  files sizes were as follows:

1. LIDE 220 with Image Capture: 12.4 MB
  2. LIDE 400 with Image Capture: 420 KB
  3. LIDE 400 with IJ Scan Utility: 4.5 MB

If you know of a way to see a preview scan with the IJ Utility or some way to know beforehand whether the IJ Utility has accurately detected the margins of multiple individual photos placed on the glass, please let me know. Thanks again for your input. 

I totally understand. I was used to getting a preview with my HP utility which had some additional adjustment abilities, so I really miss that. Now what I do, if scanning multiple pictures at once, is tic the "Open with an application" selection and send the scans to PSP 2021 for preview, then editing and saving. As you've seen, Canon IJ Scan Utility does a really good job at separating the images and aligning them, I've even put pics on the plate cocked bad. It's just lousy at allowing you to do anything "pre" with those tiny thumbnails before the final scan.

That's the way I deal with it and it works out for me because I'm going to edit them anyway. If I'm pressed for time, I just batch save the lot and deal with them later. I do a lot of photo restoration.

I hope you find a solution that works for you 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements