cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LiDE 400 - Can Not Scan at 4800dpi

izzy891
Apprentice

Hi there, 

I recently bought the Canon LiDE 400 scanner as the resolution goes up to 4800. I need the maximum resolution as I want to blow up some antique hand painted artworks which are tiny. I have tried downloading the IJ scan utility software and changing the settings in drivers to allow large image scanning (found this in a previous post) but the resolution is still fixed at 600dpi. I am on a macbook pro. Is there another way and why can i not scan at the full resolution? 

Thanks 

37 REPLIES 37

kwinz
Contributor

I have the same issue. The maximum resolution I can select for the LIDE 400 is 600dpi.

I tried both with the Windows provided drivers, and with 

CanoScan LiDE 400 Full Driver & Software Package (Windows)
Date: 03.07.22 Version: 1.1 win-lide400-1_1-n_mcd.exe

Windows 11 [Version 10.0.22631.3155]

Maximum I can set in ScanGear is still 600dpi

kwinz_0-1714049537855.png

Windows Scan app shows 600dpi max

kwinz_1-1714049575066.pngkwinz_2-1714049649574.png

GIMP TWAIN scanning app does not allow setting more than 600dpi

kwinz_3-1714049698250.png

Scanner properties shows 4800x4800dpi optical resolution, but I can never set this to be enabled.

kwinz_4-1714049766666.png

I also tried "enabling large image scans" but that didn't improve anything.

onlysublime
Contributor

To go above 600DPI, you have to use Canon's Scangear.  I see in your screenshots you are not using Scangear.  In the first picture, you're using Photo Scan.  And in the second picture, you're using Windows Scan.   In order to get to 4800 DPI, you have to use ScanGear.  you have to go to the settings for ScanGear and select the checkbox for "Enable large image scans".  Once the setting is saved, go to ScanGear to scan the image.  TYPE 4800 into the resolution box (don't use the dropdown arrow).  Set max scan to 6.7"x9.2".   YOU CANNOT GET 4800DPI WITH AUTO SCAN, DOCUMENT SCAN, PHOTO SCAN, OCR SCAN, STITCH (at least from what I can tell).

Hi, I have this problem too. I did the said solution and got the following warning. solve canon.png

did you check the box for "Enable large image scans".  

yes, i checked it.

you need to lower the output resolution to 170mm x 233 mm.  the input can be the full size of the paper (as long as it fits on the glass). but the output maxes at 6.7"x9.2"

canon.jpg

kwinz
Contributor

I managed to finally scan with higher DPI, in this one ScanGear window (part of "Canon IJ Scan Utility" app SCANUTILITY.exe), but I had to disable thumbnails view mode like hejavad said.

Hint: the icon in the top left disables the thumbnails view mode!

But now there are still all kinds of limits that I wasn't aware of when buying the scanner:

kwinz_0-1715766746626.png

kwinz_0-1715680752333.png

There is no way to scan a full page at that resolution, which is annoying. My PC has 128GB RAM and every graphics program is 64bit. Why am I limited to 4GB maximum image size?

And why does it only work in this single app, can the driver not be adapted to work with any app?

I'm going to guess that the 4GB limit is because the programmers designed for FAT32.  But it's only a guess.

Probably not because jpeg or png compress the raw scan data quite a bit before it gets stored to disk but the limit is on uncompressed data. Frankly I don't care what the historical reason is from 25 years ago before Windows XP with NTFS was popular. I want it "fixed". The warning that 100MB scans can slow down my computer and the 4GB hard limit look archaic and it's a random limitation that I wasn't told about when buying the scanner.

Announcements