cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dull colors and washed out look canon pro 100

Thisishard1
Apprentice
Just purchased a new Canon Pixma Pro-100 and cannot get accurate colors to print. I know that the images will not appear exactly the same as those on my computer but the yellows are a faded washed out dull color and the blues are terribly faded as well. All the photos I am printing appear to be aged with no vivid colors. I am on a Mac and have read that taking off the settings from the printer may help but I have no idea how to go about doing so! I am not printing from the image garden but from an app of my choice but the color image is just as dull. Any help on how to take off the settings from the printer with a Mac would be most appreciated!! And if anyone has had this issue with prints appearing yellow and aged then please let me know how y’all remedied it! Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Search the web for ICC Color profiles and work flows.  Other search terms: RGB sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc

You are correct about potentially removing the settings on the printer as this can change the workflow process at the output stage.  Typically you allow the program your are using for editing to manage color space and workflow from beginning to end.

Correct monitor calibration is also important, but ensuring the same color profile throught the entire workflow is what provides consistent results.  You will benefit greatly doing some reading to better understand how to control profiles during capture, editing and output.  Once you get the work flow dialed in, you will love your printer.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

I too seem to have this problem, but I am comparing to an old canon MP560 I am still using and my previous Pro 9000 Mark 2.  Both those printers have the "vivid photo" option that makes the photos, especially landscape, look crisp and vivid.

I am still on Win 7, and use a couple of post processing programs that I have retained over the years.

I print out a photo on the MP560 and the Pro 100 the difference is quite noticable because the Pro 100 does not have the vivid option in the regular driver.

I have downloaded the XPS driver and will see how that works. I have adjusted the color and intensity settings 8 ways to sunday and still the photos are either dull, washed out, too dark or whatever. 

I like the 13 x 19 capability of the Pro 100 but if the pics look like this I will have to try to find an affordable and not totally worn out Mark 2 printer. 

Also just an FYI I have used canon and 3rd party--- usually sophia global--ink in the MP560 and Mark2 for many years and never had a problem--just great looking photos!

I too have this problem. Just bought a Canon 100 Pixma Pro. It's been hours and hours of time I've spent trying to fix this to no avail. Please do let me know if you find a solution - I've turned off color management and tried at least 4 different ICC profiles. Oddly my 5 year old HP printer prints with more vibrant colors which is frustrating. It looks like this printer is getting returned!

@usurpedunicorn wrote:

I too have this problem. Just bought a Canon 100 Pixma Pro. It's been hours and hours of time I've spent trying to fix this to no avail. Please do let me know if you find a solution - I've turned off color management and tried at least 4 different ICC profiles. Oddly my 5 year old HP printer prints with more vibrant colors which is frustrating. It looks like this printer is getting returned!

Welcome to the forum usurpedunicorn.

The Pixma Pro-100 is capable of printing excellent images. Something is clearly wrong with your printer or your settings.

You have provided insufficent information for us to assist you.

What operating system. What software. Have you installed the latest printer driver.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and they will walk you through it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem and am wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot it.

I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100 that is 4 years old. I print giclees using Palo Duro Etching paper from Red River Paper. This week I noticed that my prints are not as vibrant. I haven't added any new software.

The ink is all fine. 

I downloaded updated drivers for Mac OS Catalina.

I am printing from Photoshop using ICC profiles for Palo Duro Etching

after I loaded the updated drivers, I restarted both printer and computer.

I checked my paper and I'm printing on the right side.

The colors are still dull.

If I print on plain copy paper using Fine Printing and letting the printer choose the colors, it prints correctly.

Any ideas of what to try next?

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 3.54.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 3.57.30 PM.png

alisonaileen
Apprentice

I'm so mad.  Saved up for this printer splurge so I could print from home and the images are terrible. I accidently printed the same picture from my Epson 2750 which I use for my black and white paperwork. It even printed on printer paper and the colors were so much more vibrant. I'm pulling my hair out.  First I can't get it to connect wirelessly so I have to walk my lap top over and plug in in everytime. Then the picture quality is absoluly awul. So bad that I continue to send out for printing. A huge waste of money. Going to review on Amazon - I should have returned it immediatly but with all of the criziness going on it wasn't on my rader until too late.

@alisonaileen wrote:

I'm so mad.  Saved up for this printer splurge so I could print from home and the images are terrible. I accidently printed the same picture from my Epson 2750 which I use for my black and white paperwork. It even printed on printer paper and the colors were so much more vibrant. I'm pulling my hair out.  First I can't get it to connect wirelessly so I have to walk my lap top over and plug in in everytime. Then the picture quality is absoluly awul. So bad that I continue to send out for printing. A huge waste of money. Going to review on Amazon - I should have returned it immediatly but with all of the criziness going on it wasn't on my rader until too late.

Welcome to the forum alisonaileen.

The Pixma Pro-100 is capable of printing excellent images. Something is clearly wrong with your printer or your settings.

You have provided insufficent information for us to assist you.

What operating system. What software. Have you installed the latest printer driver.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and they will walk you through it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

alisonaileen
Apprentice

I had a similar issue. I eventually called Canon customer service and spent the 60 minutes necessary to trouble shoot and we did it. That would be my recommendation.  It wasn't anything I could have figured out on my own. Some of it had to do with a bad cartage and the other issue was caliberating for the paper I was using.

Good Luck

Announcements