cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dull colors and washed out look canon pro 100

Thisishard1
Apprentice
Just purchased a new Canon Pixma Pro-100 and cannot get accurate colors to print. I know that the images will not appear exactly the same as those on my computer but the yellows are a faded washed out dull color and the blues are terribly faded as well. All the photos I am printing appear to be aged with no vivid colors. I am on a Mac and have read that taking off the settings from the printer may help but I have no idea how to go about doing so! I am not printing from the image garden but from an app of my choice but the color image is just as dull. Any help on how to take off the settings from the printer with a Mac would be most appreciated!! And if anyone has had this issue with prints appearing yellow and aged then please let me know how y’all remedied it! Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Search the web for ICC Color profiles and work flows.  Other search terms: RGB sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc

You are correct about potentially removing the settings on the printer as this can change the workflow process at the output stage.  Typically you allow the program your are using for editing to manage color space and workflow from beginning to end.

Correct monitor calibration is also important, but ensuring the same color profile throught the entire workflow is what provides consistent results.  You will benefit greatly doing some reading to better understand how to control profiles during capture, editing and output.  Once you get the work flow dialed in, you will love your printer.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Search the web for ICC Color profiles and work flows.  Other search terms: RGB sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc

You are correct about potentially removing the settings on the printer as this can change the workflow process at the output stage.  Typically you allow the program your are using for editing to manage color space and workflow from beginning to end.

Correct monitor calibration is also important, but ensuring the same color profile throught the entire workflow is what provides consistent results.  You will benefit greatly doing some reading to better understand how to control profiles during capture, editing and output.  Once you get the work flow dialed in, you will love your printer.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm helping a very senior friend who has used his Canon Pro 100  with a Mac for several months, with good results. 

A couple of weeks ago, he suddenly had a problem with the colors on the Pro 100.  Colors were pale and washed out.  He only uses Canon OEM ink and prints from Photoshop.  However, printing out of Chrome produces the same faded-looking colors as does printing colors in a Word document. 

• For the record, the ink levels show good for all colors.
  • Wasted ink on head cleaning -- no help.
  • Printed Test Pages - faded colors

This afternoon, I brought a Win 10-64 notebook and connected to the printer via USB.  SAME problme - wathed out colors.

Reading posts on this problem has been NO help.  Two different OS computers having identical printing problems would seem to point to the printer as the problem.  Any suggestions ?

Thanks for any help -- that will help.

Wolf

1. Does it still print OK from the Mac?

2. There is no Chromebook driver for the printer, when printing from Chromebook it’s probably using a general driver that doesn’t utilize all printer capabilities. 

3. Did you install the Canon driver on the Windows printer you used?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the quick response.

The color problem IS the Mac printing.  My friend started to have the problem after months of using the printer.

Regarding printing in Windows, I just plugged it in to the USB port without loading a driver.  I now know that a special driver exists and will download and try again.

Cannon's support page has Win and Mac drivers for the Pro 100 and I'll try to install them on the respective computers.  Of course, that does not explain WHY the printer suddenly started to give my frriend problems after monhts of good use.  

Will follow up after installing the drivers.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What paper are you printing on? Is it possible you are printing on the wrong side?

What software are you printing from? Can you paste a screen shot of your print settings?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60570124

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thisishard1
Apprentice
That’s why I was asking how to go about taking off settings and how to adjust the color because I do not know how to do so. I have a Mac and after installation I can not find where in the printer manual or other installed apps where it will allow me to adjust the settings for the printer. I have read quite a bit on this forum but most is for windows which does nothing to help me. I am using canon pro platinum paper and since it has the label on the incorrect side I know that my issue is not with wrong sided printing. I do not know how to access the printer settings for this particular printer as the only preferences I can find to change are size of the paper what kind of paper and to make this new printer my default to name just a couple of items. Nowhere can I find how to adjust any of the actual settings for the printer

This may help, but I do need to know what software you are printing from. That is where you start your print settings.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60545311

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdbEZk-PtCU

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

karinlin
Apprentice

Not sure if you ever found the solution to your problem. I was dealing with the same issues today. I was printing from Photoshop, and had followed every suggestion I found on the internet. I calibrated my monitor, and used the correct settings, but nothing was helping. I came across this youtube video and noticed they were using Print Photo Pro (can be found as a plugin either through LR or PS.) I tried a print through Print Photo Pro and right away the photos were a lot closer to the monitor than before. Maybe this might help you. Good luck!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
OK I misunderstood. I thought Chromebook. I guess you meant Chrome browser. Sometimes funny things happen, so try reinstalling driver on the Mac. Be sure it is the IJ series version and not AirPrint or Bonjour version.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements