cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634CDW Not Waking from Sleep when print job is sent

itguy
Contributor

I recently purchased a MF634CDW direct from Canon for my home office.  I set it up and seemed like all was OK, but my wife reported that the machine had an error message.  I power cycled and then it seemed fine, but I now realize that whenever the device goes into sleep mode, and you send a print job, it displays an error message and you have to power cycle to get it to function again.  

I am not using the wireless functionality and am using the wired network.  Other then turning off the sleep mode altogether and accepting that this device has flaws, I don't have another option.  I downloaded and installed the latest firmware but it did not fix the issue.

78 REPLIES 78

You say you fixed this. Would you please explain how? I suspect you actually meant to say you found a workaround. By suggesting you fixed the problem, you are giving Canon an excuse to avoid fixing their software.

msgtjk
Contributor
Oh no sorry....meant I have to cycle the power. We need a permanent fix

This problem appears across all brands of Canon printers based on the complaints I've seen registered. From research I had done I learned there was a remote web interface to the printer. I had looked at a lot of things from the control panel to no avail.I wondered if I looked at the machine remotely while it was sleeping I might be able to figure out the problem. So I printed out the Network Configuration Page using the control panel. Then I went to the following URL (appropriate for my network YMMV).

//10.0.0.13/index.html. Two things happened: the Network Configuration home page came up and the printer started printing queued jobs. After much experimentation, it appears that the printer is only ignoring print requests after sleeping. So I went into my router's network configuration and added the printer with a reserved ip. I setup a destop icon with that URL and password protected the printer. I repeated that for other devices I own. Now I doubleclick on the wake up icon before printing. It's likely that the problem exists in third party hardware and software Canon buys. Why it hasn't been fixed is beyond me.

I have noticed that since I did my workaround by accessing the printer through the browser interface that my printer is no longer having a problem waking from sleep. The last few mornings I have started to print without first employing the workaround and the printer woke and ran the jobs. I am totally baffled.

When I send a job when the printer is asleep, I have to do these things... 1.) send the job  2). reach over and wake up the printer, 3.) (standup) & disconnect the usb connection cord, wait 30 seconds 4.) plug it back in & wait.  It takes a few seconds, but it always works.  It is just a huge frustration.   

If I send the jobs, while the printer is turned off....when I turn on the printer, the jobs run fine.  It is only when the printer goes to sleep.

What is a "workaround " - I am a tech dunce.

A workaround or kludge is a way to get something broken to work without actually fixing it. In this case, accessing the web interface to the printer in a browser to wake up the printer without having to reboot it.

"A workaround or kludge is a way to get something broken to work without actually fixing it. In this case, accessing the web interface to the printer in a browser to wake up the printer without having to reboot it."

No, that doesn't work with this printer.

Lusken
Apprentice

I just setup this machine in one of our shops, imedialty saw similiar issue. The printer will go into sleep mode and disconnect from the wireless network. Sending a print job does not trigger the printer to wake up, and why would it?

Looking at the settings for the wireless setup, there is a an eco mode. I turned this off, and the printers wireless connection stays connected even if it has gone into sleep. 

Problem solved for me. 

msgtjk
Contributor
Thank you for the post! I am going to do it. Appreciated!!!

When I’m not home and the kids need to print something I get a call at work. So annoying. Thanks again!
Announcements