09-20-2017 02:10 PM
I recently purchased a MF634CDW direct from Canon for my home office. I set it up and seemed like all was OK, but my wife reported that the machine had an error message. I power cycled and then it seemed fine, but I now realize that whenever the device goes into sleep mode, and you send a print job, it displays an error message and you have to power cycle to get it to function again.
I am not using the wireless functionality and am using the wired network. Other then turning off the sleep mode altogether and accepting that this device has flaws, I don't have another option. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware but it did not fix the issue.
09-20-2017 03:58 PM
I understand your Color imageCLASS MF634Cdw doesn't wake from sleep mode when you try to print from your computer, and I can help. For clarification, I will need some more information about your situation. Could you answer a few questions?
(1) Is your MF634Cdw's power cord connected directly to a wall outlet or power strip/surge protector?
(2) Did you manually enter your MF634Cdw's IP Address or does your router/access point automatically assign your printer's IP Address?
(3) When your MF634Cdw doesn't wake from the sleep mode, are you able to open your printer's Remote UI? To check, open your Web Browser on your computer, then type your printer's IP Address in the Address Bar (where you would usually type "www...") and press Enter on your keyboard.
If you need immediate assistance and you're in the USA, please click http://Canon.us/ContactCF for our US-based support. If you're outside of the US, please click http://Canon.us/4xf7 for support options.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
09-20-2017 04:54 PM
1. The printer is directly connected to an electrical outlet that is properly grounded
2. It currently is being assigned it's IP address via DHCP from my router.
3. I have not tried to go into the web gui, but the buttons do not wake the printer either. I will attempt to enter the web gui when it's "sleeping."
09-20-2017 10:51 PM
Once I try to print, the device has a red error message that states "Turn the Main Power Off and On E003-0000 If the device does not recover, contact your dealer or service representative" The web GUI is not available when this message is displayed.
However, if I go into the GUI before I send a print job, I can get in and it seems to prevent the message from displaying for subsequent print jobs. This doesn't make much sense to me.
09-21-2017 05:55 AM
Is the MF634CDW power cord plugged into a surge protector or directly to the wall outlet? If it is connected to a surge protector it could be getting a power surge or dip in power causing the unit to not wake up. I would suggest since you already donwloaded and installed the Firmware update, that you uunplug the power cable and plug directly to a wall outlet and
see if it wakes up.
If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:
09-21-2017 10:23 AM - last edited on 11-17-2018 12:43 PM by Danny
Since you've done the troubleshooting recommended here on the Forum, we suggest reaching out to Support by calling 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays. Support is always free.
12-18-2017 05:11 PM
No, I have not found a permanent solution, but may have stumbled on a work around. I had previously configured a static IP address for the unit. After having all these problems, I setup the printer all over again and this time I kept the network setting default to dhcp. I have had a problem once with the printer picking up a new IP address, but is easily remedied with either a reservation or just a new printer port. It seems that since this change, I have not been seeing the issue but my wife could be power cycling the printer as well when I'm not around. Now, it could have been starting over that fixed it also.