cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634CDW Not Waking from Sleep when print job is sent

itguy
Contributor

I recently purchased a MF634CDW direct from Canon for my home office.  I set it up and seemed like all was OK, but my wife reported that the machine had an error message.  I power cycled and then it seemed fine, but I now realize that whenever the device goes into sleep mode, and you send a print job, it displays an error message and you have to power cycle to get it to function again.  

I am not using the wireless functionality and am using the wired network.  Other then turning off the sleep mode altogether and accepting that this device has flaws, I don't have another option.  I downloaded and installed the latest firmware but it did not fix the issue.

78 REPLIES 78

Sonya1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi itguy,

I understand your Color imageCLASS MF634Cdw doesn't wake from sleep mode when you try to print from your computer, and I can help.  For clarification, I will need some more information about your situation.  Could you answer a few questions?

(1) Is your MF634Cdw's power cord connected directly to a wall outlet or power strip/surge protector?

(2) Did you manually enter your MF634Cdw's IP Address or does your router/access point automatically assign your printer's IP Address?

(3) When your MF634Cdw doesn't wake from the sleep mode, are you able to open your printer's Remote UI?  To check, open your Web Browser on your computer, then type your printer's IP Address in the Address Bar (where you would usually type "www...") and press Enter on your keyboard.

If you need immediate assistance and you're in the USA, please click http://Canon.us/ContactCF for our US-based support. If you're outside of the US, please click http://Canon.us/4xf7 for support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

1. The printer is directly connected to an electrical outlet that is properly grounded

2. It currently is being assigned it's IP address via DHCP from my router.

3. I  have not tried to go into the web gui, but the buttons do not wake the printer either.  I will attempt to enter the web gui when it's "sleeping."

Once I try to print, the device has a red error message that states "Turn the Main Power Off and On  E003-0000   If the device does not recover, contact your dealer or service representative"  The web GUI is not available when this message is displayed.

However, if I go into the GUI before I send a print job, I can get in and it seems to prevent the message from displaying for subsequent print jobs.  This doesn't make much sense to me.

Canon, apparently this issue has not been resolved. Everyone has been told different workarounds, but no definite answer. I just paid a good chunk of change for what I thought would be better than my Brother printer, but if it won't print without all this drama, it is definitly far worse. We were told this was one of Cannon's newest printers and assumed it would be great. Please help this to be true by fixing this bug! I hope to hear back soon!

James_C

Hi itguy                     

Is the MF634CDW power cord plugged into a surge protector or directly to the wall outlet? If it is connected to a surge protector it could be getting a power surge or dip in power causing the unit to not wake up. I would suggest since you already donwloaded and installed the Firmware update, that you uunplug the power cable and plug directly to a wall outlet and
 see if it wakes up.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

itguy
Contributor
It is plugged directly into the wall outlet.

Hi itguy,

Since you've done the troubleshooting recommended here on the Forum, we suggest reaching out to Support by calling 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays. Support is always free. 

itguy
Contributor
Ok. Will call support. Was hoping it was something simple.

ETrain999
Apprentice
Itguy, I have the same issue. Was wondering if you ever found a solution?
Announcements