cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634CDW Not Waking from Sleep when print job is sent

itguy
Contributor

I recently purchased a MF634CDW direct from Canon for my home office.  I set it up and seemed like all was OK, but my wife reported that the machine had an error message.  I power cycled and then it seemed fine, but I now realize that whenever the device goes into sleep mode, and you send a print job, it displays an error message and you have to power cycle to get it to function again.  

I am not using the wireless functionality and am using the wired network.  Other then turning off the sleep mode altogether and accepting that this device has flaws, I don't have another option.  I downloaded and installed the latest firmware but it did not fix the issue.

78 REPLIES 78

cannonmaster
Apprentice

OK, I think I have successfully solved this issue on my network - the resolution is specific to ASUS router.  I would guess similar settings exist on other routers.

Check out this post ( I am copying over so the instructions are not lost) - FOR ASUS ROUTERS ONLY

1. First log into the router’s settings.
  2. Choose Wireless > Professional tab
  3. Make the following changes:
    • Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 9 (802.11ac)
    • Airtime Fairness: Disable (NOTE: According to one reader, this is the only change that matters, so try this first. Thanks Dan CC!)
    • Multi-User MIMO: Disable (Note that this was already disabled by default for me)
    • Explicit Beamforming: Disable
    • Universal Beamforming (5 GHz only): Disable
  4. Click Apply button.
  5. Each of the Bands (i.e., 2.4GHz and 5GHz) have their own independent set of settings on this page. So, change the Band and repeat Step 3.

This solved pretty much all issues for me. I can print when the printer is sleeping, it wakes up, prints, and goes back to sleep again.

Also similar to this thread.

Edit : 8/7/2019 - I have returned the printer since it doesnt work with Unifi / Amplifi which is the gold standard for high throughput pro/ semi pro wifi systems. Too much headache.

I would very much like to follow these instructions, but none of the things you list under the "professional" tab are listed for my rouer. I have the ASUS RT-AC55U. Please help - thanks!

Thank you for sharing what worked for you and congratulations on successfully troubleshooting your issue.

For the benefit of others, I just want to point out that I can see from your instructions that the problem you are solving is for a wireless connection. That type of connection is always trickier than a hard-wired connection.

Many of us are still waiting for canon to solve their problem with hard-wired connections, for which their printer driver's failure has no excuse.

Thanks. yes, I solved the Wifi problem but honestly only the Canon printers have this issue. I have a Kodak and HP printers and both of them work without modifying anything on my router. This is 2019, and Canon needs to act like it is 2019.

This is not more than a week's worth of effort for Canon and I am surprised they are still directing people to contact the router guys.

Just for me personally, this will be the last Canon printer I will buy. I was able to return the printer to Best Buy even though i solved the issue. I cant take the headache of fixing stuff that should not be broken in the first place. Because believe it or not, this printer doesn't work with Unifi routers. I mean JFC! There are not that many things that dont work with unifi, but I found an exception.

I am not bitter - I am practical. The solution works in limited cases and the manufacturer (Canon) just needs to step up. Look at @patrice above - asking people to contact the router manufacturer. Ha ha.

Hi katmichaels.

It is recommended that you contact your router manufacturer for assistance with your router settings.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It has notthing to do with the router. My printer is not on Wi Fi (wireless). I have no idea what äir Print"is (that was added in update). I have the printer connected by a new very nice usb cord. The problem of not waking up from sleep mode when a new job is sent to it.....began after the system wide update on July 26th.

Hit me before that. My wife has been having the problem for a year. My problems started 6 months ago. People have been having this problem since at least 2014. I worked software development and support for four decades - I never would have let a problem slide for 5 years. Too many companies underrate the value of support and only place noobies and the incompetent in support. My first job had a mixture of both. One of them literally was a "people person, dammit" (Office Space reference).

NanaPatti
Contributor

I have had my MF634Cdw for over a year; every time Canon updates the drivers, I have issues with getting anything to print.  This last update 7/26/19 changed my printer type to "AIR PRINT" . I have no idea what that is.  

But this not waking up from sleep mode could be my problem, thought it has not ever happened before.  How would I turn that Sleep mode off?  

ktbfrod
Apprentice

Does anyone from Canon ever look at this problem?  

I have tried connecting with USB cable directly, tried connecting wirelessly with a new router.  NOTHING WORKS.  With the number of emails regarding this situation I should think even mediocre customer service would have addressed this by now.

I try to send print jobs and all I get is that the Mac computer is looking for a printer.  The wireless setup on the printer shows that it is connected.  But the print jobs are not going through. 

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Hi ktbfrod.

If you have tried all of those steps, and the issue remains, then there may be another internal issue with the printer. Please call our telephone support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A representative will be able to perform further troubleshooting steps to try and resolve the issue. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements