cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D connecting to computer

scpatriot
Contributor

A friend recently gave me a 7D in excellent condition after he upgraded.  When I try to connect to the computer it does not recognize the camera.  The EOS Utility program show the connect window, but nothing happens.  Any help is appreciated.

29 REPLIES 29

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Are you using the Canon cable supplied with the camera?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'ved used the supplied cord and tried another that I know works.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Shut down EOS Utility and turn off camera. Connect camera to computer and switch on camera. Does EOSU start up? Does camera appear as a connected disk? Mac or PC?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

EOSU does not start.  The camera doesn't show as a connected disk.  It is PC.  When you turn the camera on, you hear the chime from the computer as if something has been recognized.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Is your OS up to date? Try removing on card. Not a very common situation, but is your Windows an “N” version?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The laptop is Windows 10.  Everything is up to date.

John, I do appeciate your help.

Glad to try. I can't think of anything else. Here are some ideas that have been posted in other threads:

1. try a different USB port

2. does canon have a wifi transmitter installed - (WFT-E5A)

Some folks have reported a failed USB circuit in camera, but since your camera is being recognized I don't think thats it.

Some cables are charging cables only; don't have a data line. When you say you used cable that came with the camera, is it a Canon branded cable?

Maybe someone else reading this thread has some thoughts.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It is the Canon supplied cord.

I've tried all ports on the computer.

There is currently no wifi.  (I've seen a lot of conflicting reviews on WFT-E5A)

I had hoped that I was being dumb and had missed something obvious.

Announcements