cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D connecting to computer

scpatriot
Contributor

A friend recently gave me a 7D in excellent condition after he upgraded.  When I try to connect to the computer it does not recognize the camera.  The EOS Utility program show the connect window, but nothing happens.  Any help is appreciated.

29 REPLIES 29

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51200/~/what-to-do-when-windows-10-does-not-...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I just tried connecting another Canon camera using the same cord and USB port.  It connected immediately.

Is there anything in the camera settings that would affect outgoing data?

Not on these later cameras. The Canon guidance says to set Auto Power Off timer to "OFF", but that shouldn't affect inital recognition.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

A question if I may?

Why are you connecting the camera to your computer to begin with? I can think of two reasons:

1. You want to tether the camera to the computer so you can see, via the computer screen, what the camera sees when you shoot.  This is a comparitively rarely used feature, so I am leaning towards #2..

2. You want to transfer files to the computer.  In that case you would be better off to take the card out of the camera and use a card reader (I gather your camera is the 7D not 7DII so it has a CF Card).   That way you will get the file transfer at a faster rate and you won't be chewing through your camera battery to transfer the files.   You can pick up a decent card reader for not a great investment, especially worth it if you got the camera for free (or did I mis-interpret your original post?).

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have a card reader now.  If there is nothing I need to connect for (firmware or such) then I quess it is not an issue.  I appreciate the quick responses and answers.

Glad to help if I can.

Firmware updates are designed to be downloaded to your CF card so you would install them via the card reader onto the card, which is then used to install the updates.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Don't worry about firmware updates. Canon will not usually update firmware of discontinued models.

However, you may still need to connect your 7D to your PC for Canon Utilities, updating/adding picture styles and changing copy rights info etc.

Please also read the content here :

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51200/~/what-to-do-when-windows-10-does-not-...

I have a 7D and must say that the firmware updates always been delivered by the card, the instructions encourage you to do so as I recall.  I have been able to access and change the copyright info direct from the camera menu.

cheers, TREVOR

@Tronhard wrote:

A question if I may?

Why are you connecting the camera to your computer to begin with? I can think of two reasons:

1. You want to tether the camera to the computer so you can see, via the computer screen, what the camera sees when you shoot.  This is a comparitively rarely used feature, so I am leaning towards #2..

2. You want to transfer files to the computer.  In that case you would be better off to take the card out of the camera and use a card reader (I gather your camera is the 7D not 7DII so it has a CF Card).   That way you will get the file transfer at a faster rate and you won't be chewing through your camera battery to transfer the files.   You can pick up a decent card reader for not a great investment, especially worth it if you got the camera for free (or did I mis-interpret your original post?).

3. Possibly the OP wants to synchronize the camera's time with the computer's or update some of the user-supplied information (author's name, copyright notice, etc.).

I would remind the OP, who didn't say what version he was using, that a 7D wants Version 3 of EOSU.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
click here to view the gallery
Announcements