cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

This works. One additional note. If you have an app on your phone for your home network, you can simply disconnect the printer from there as opposed to shutting down your whole wifi system. 

This is all fine and dandy but what effect will this have for those who went with the domain name service work around that was suggested on June second 2022?

I did the DNS work around but not the update. So far my printer is working fine on wifi. 

Ok, but it says to connect a USB to my computer to download the new firmware. How do I download the firmware if I do not have a computer and my cell phone and tablet as my only devices ? 

Unfortunately, I cannot answer that. I don't use a tablet. Why not just do the DNS workaround so you can operate your printer on wifi again until you can access a computer? Unless someone else here can help you with downloading the firmware to your printer via a tablet. Sorry.. 

graumli, i do not have a laptop, however I am able to borrow one.  I downloaded the fix, but the printer utility is not coming up for me to apply.  any ideas on how to proceed?

What did you download the fix to, your phone? 

I borrowed a laptop from a good friend.  But I am not getting the printer utility to apply patch

Do the work around of changing your printer's DNS number. Disconnect the printer from wifi (disable your wifi router), this will allow your printer to stay on. Use the printer menu to change the DNS number by any digit. Then you'll be able to reconnect to wifi and use your printer as usual. 

If you do the DNS workaround so you can reconnect the printer to your wifi, you can follow these instructions I found to download the firmware

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART162662

Announcements