cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

this is not an acceptable solution!  I do not have a PC, i have an ipad and a cell phone neither of which can be connected to my printer thru a cable to install firmware.  

I share your opinion.  The error was pushed out - the fix should be pushed out as well.  

I can't complete the firmware update because my printer keeps rebooting in the middle of it.  What can I do now?

Disconnect your wifi (router). Use an USB cable to connect your printer with your computer. Once complete, reboot your wifi and your printer should able to find wifi and stay operational. 

Yep, this.  Worked like a charm once I disconnected it from Wi-Fi.

I just completed the firmware update, and it's working like normal again.  

I tried the solution you suggested and my MX492 continues to power cycle. It is connected wirelessly to my computer.

No, you have to disconnect the printer from wifi. Best to turn the router off (unplug it from modem or power source). Once the printer isn't connected to wifi you'll be able to turn it on and it will stay on. If you're doing the firmware update suggested by Canon, use a USB cable to connect printer to your computer. If you're changing the IP/DNS IS number, the printer menu can be available while off wifi to do that too. Once you change the DNS number, you'll be able to connect to wifi again once you reboot the router. 

Our Pixma MX492 will not stay on long enough between reboots to install the update. Is there a way around this?

You have to disconnect the printer from your wifi then connect your computer to the printer to install the update using a USB cord. Once the update is complete, you'll be able to reboot your wifi and connect your printer to it.

Announcements