cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

There's a fix for this issue. Go thru the posts, you'll find it. Basically, you have to assign a different DNS number to the printer while it's off wifi. Once it reconnects to wifi, it will work fine again. Find the post with all the steps. 

spaterson
Apprentice

If anyone is on Twitter, @canoncanada (finally) responded to another customer that they are aware and working on it. They also shared the workaround. 

I also posted on Twitter @CanonUSA.  They informed me to register my printer and then call their printer technicians. I did mention this forum and how there are at least hundreds of us in this same situation.  I guess I just want a fix for everyone.

can-not-non
Apprentice

Bye, Fe-Cannon

laelani
Apprentice

tried the holding button fix.  it does not work for me.really need to print holiday documents off. nothing working just the canon logo and no other buttons working at all,was fine 2 days ago .searched canon site but can find no fix for this issue.

Yesterday, I changed the IP address of my printer to a made up one and it prints from both my laptop (wifi) and desktop. If you need a valid IP for another reason, see below:

This problem that you are experiencing is because of DNS. I solved my problem by turning off the Access Point (or unplugging the internet cable from the router's WAN port). The printer will turn on normally. Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration.

lilmesz55
Apprentice

I don't know about anyone else, but my MX490 will not stop reboot/cycling. I unplugged cable to router and I am unable to get to the menu set up devices tools screen to disconnect from the WiFi. It just keeps cycling

Sorry, you have to unplug the printer and shut off your modem/router. Then plug the  unit back in.That should work.

If not, do a printer reset then try again.

unfortunately that didn't work either. It wont stop cycling and I cant get to any device, set up, or menu screen. This just may be above my pay grade and I have to call my IT guy. 
thank you for the advice.

Announcements