cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

tkaris
Apprentice

Screenshot_20220531-200723_Chrome.jpg

 I found this in a different thread. Worked for me. All I had to do was unplug my Wi-Fi and the printer started right up, nevermind any of the other steps listed here... because that isn't sketchy at all, right Canon? What a weird coincidence.

Kevindurst
Apprentice

Add me to the list.  My MX490 started recycling endlessly yesterday afternoon.  

ediaz
Contributor

I have the same issue with a IP110, the same I will try the workarround puting a static IP address and a no DNS or a fake DNS, we need a solution CANON!!

dlbort
Apprentice

My maxify mb5320 experiencing the same issue Ohio century link. I already ordered a new printer almost 400.00  I am afraid to hook it up after reading this. I just wish I would have researched prior to ordering a new one.  I am going to try to hook the old one up using usb cable for now. I hope it works because I have spent way to much time trying to fix it. 

Tcsnron
Apprentice

I followed the suggestion to first turn off my router. This allowed me to regain control of the printer which I disconnected from wi-fi using the printer’s panel buttons. I now have the ability to print via USB from my desktop, but no air-printer ability from my phone, of course.

foltz61
Apprentice

Happening to me too. This printer has been junk from day one almost. It's my last Canon.

foltz61
Apprentice

This workaround came from others on here saying to keep the printer from connecting to the internet. This is just how I achieved success. 

I use dd-wrt on my router so I added an access restriction for the printers MAC address from the internet. For those with a basic router you should be able to do something similar nin parental controls. The MAC address for my MX490 isn't on the printer anywhere so I found it in my DHCP client list. If you are having trouble finding yours, it may start with 84:BA:3B.

Good luck.

Great idea. I tried to do the same thing but the stupid Google Fiber router does not have that feature.

bags
Apprentice

everyone is having this problem, are you using Canon ink or a cheaper brand? I'm using a cheaper brand and I'm wondering if they are bricking my printer because of it.

I had previously bought a cheaper brand but just recently replaced empties with Canon XL as I felt I was having issues after I switched. The cycling started today while we had the electrician here doing some work. I thought maybe it was triggered by something he did, maybe reset a breaker?

Announcements