cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is DPP 4.17.0.0 so slow processing CRAW .CR3 images?

dpylypi
Contributor

I'm shooting with new R6MK2 (and struggled to find a newly updated DPP to process images).  I  noticed immediately how tremendously slow .CR3 (using CRAW compression) take to batch process convert to JPG v .CR2 images.  Note that Lap 1 in the first photo was 10 .CR2 images averaging 35MB files size that processed successfully in less than 2 minutes.  Lap2 is 10 .CR3 images averaging half the size taking nearly 11 minutes (5 times longer!) to process.  I'm on a 2020 MacBook Pro with M1 chip using Ventura 13.0.1 macOS.  I've tried both CRAW and non CRAW .CR3 with same results.  I desperately need to see significant improvements as my clients are "time is of the essence" type.  Appreciate suggestions and other feedback.

Dennis

IMG-8296.PNGScreenshot 2023-01-08 at 11.17.39 AM.png

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I just tested 10 .CR3 files from my 1D X Mark III. About 3 minutes to generate JPEGs. MacBook Air M2 with Ventura 13.1.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John - thanks for sharing.  I actually screwed up my description - Lap1 was the 10 .CR3's, Lap 2 was the 10 .CR2's.  I don't get it?  Are you using 4.17.0.0 as well?  

I bounce between shooting images creating .CR2's on a 7DMK2, .CR3's with the R6MK2.  I was using the previous version of DPP and needed to search out the new version to process .CR3's.  I typically do a couple of quick edit adjustments for sharpness, contrast, and saturation that apply to all of images from each camera, then sort the thumbnails by shooting date and time and batch convert them all.  I'm baffled.  Working basketball images this evening and watching the same circumstance - flying thru .CR2's, snail pace thru .CR3's.  

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

CR3 files are definitely slower.  I use a HP Z840 series workstation with twin Intel Xeon CPUs and ran a quick time test:

10 CR3 files (Canon 1DX III) RAW to JPG took 83 seconds.

10 CR2 files (Canon 1DX II) RAW to JPG took 44 seconds

I never bothered doing precise timing before but I noticed immediately after I added a 1DX III to the mix that post took longer for its files to convert.

I am using DPP 4.17.10

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I'd be tickled with that kind of response!  I'm new to this - does anyone from Canon ever respond to issues here?  Is there a way to escalate an issue to them for support?  Frankly, I'm disappointed making a large spend and using their software solutions without opportunities for direct support.  40-60 seconds to convert an image to .jpg just isn't acceptable to me.  Heck, let me go back to using .CR2 images instead!

FWIW: Although we don't shoot cRaw, out of curiosity, I just batched 10 CR3's from our R6 mark II with DPP 4 - 4.17.10 on a Dell XPS 17 running Windows 10 Pro and it took 2' 50". My laptop has an Intel i7 10th gen 6 core CPU running at 2.6GHz, a 2TB PCIe M.2 NVMe drive, and just 16GB RAM. I have dual GPU's (Intel and NVIDIA GeForce), but think that only effects display times, if that. DPP 4 has always been odd about using that extra GPU in the past, at least, I haven't noticed any effect.

These files were all 30MB, more or less. Maybe decompression is slowing things down?

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

YatzekEU
Apprentice

Hi Everyone, I have had the same issue. I am using Surface Book with two GPU's (Intel + nVidia). Yesterday I have decided to change general settings for my operating environment through nVidia Control Panel. I have defined that nVidia is main and default GPU for all operations. It helps significantly to speed up DPP. Now it is acceptable (CR3 from R5). Important: when I have tried to define default GPU for DPP only using nVidia Control Panel - it did not work. So general settings helps. Important 2: this change is not really visible on the Windows performance manager (Event manager --> Performance). I do not know why but know I can use DPP.

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello dpylypi,

I would start with verifying the system is up to the task. On a macOS, it is recommended to have an Intel Core-i series CPU 3.4GHz or higher, with Intel Core-i7 or later being suggested. 4GB of RAM or more, with 8GB being suggested and a minimum of 600MB of hard drive space available. 

Apple M1, 16GB RAM, 813GB available on 1 TB drive.

Any response you might care to share would be deeply appreciated.

Announcements