cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 and CanoScan 9000F Mark II

DLI1228
Contributor

Ever since I downloaded Windows 11 this scanner stopped working.

Completely.

Cannot find a dedicated driver. 

Has this thing become a boat anchor?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

This sounds more like an issue with the "upgrade" to Windows 11. That is to say, Canon has done nothing in the way of making changes that would make the scanner inoperative. Perhaps Microsoft will offer an update that will allow Win 11 to recognize your scanner and make it functional.

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Look into VueScan by Hamrick Software.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

DLI1228
Contributor

Thanks to y'all who have provided support and helpful recent steps by Canon to make my scanner accessible for Windows 11. You are right that that these comments come some 2 years after my posting of woes. They come too late.  I dumped that Canon scanner as a boat anchor, removed all its software and acquired my present Brother scanner which was very reasonable in price and fits al my needs, which aren't many or fancy.  

I've had Canon cameras in the past that I have liked a lot (I now use a Nikon) so it's not the name I'm rejecting, it's the  mouth-breathing nerds in the windowless Canon facilities with green eyeshades and Birkenstocks  who released a scanner without Windows software and sat on it for two years/  Boo on them and their bosses.

22 REPLIES 22

wol
Apprentice

I installed the latest "optional" driver from Canon's site, and then the IJ Scan utility started working.  However, as others have complained, the buttons on the CanoScan didn't exec the IJ Scan process.  So it was a laborious process of scanning individual pages clicking the onscreen buttons.  Just recently, though, I've found if I make sure the scanner is _connected_ first, and turn it On and let it settle a few seconds and only _then_ boot the computer, the scanner's buttons worked!  So the bug apparently is, if you start the scanner when the computer is areadt running, there's some failure in the USB PNP process to make the connection?

Thanks for the offer of help. It was hard to understand exactly what you were saying, but I tried the "leave the scanner off, reboot the computer, then turn the scanner on" gambit but it didn't work.  This is insane. Canon should do a much better job; look at all the trouble complaints from customers in all its products.  Oh, well, i guess i go buy somebody else's scanner.  

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

This sounds more like an issue with the "upgrade" to Windows 11. That is to say, Canon has done nothing in the way of making changes that would make the scanner inoperative. Perhaps Microsoft will offer an update that will allow Win 11 to recognize your scanner and make it functional.

jmdossett
Apprentice

I had the same problems with Windows 10 before upgrade to 11. If I uninstall the scanner and then reboot it will work briefly. But then after the computer has gone to sleep or the next morning...nothing. Windows system says sees the scanner and says that it is working properly. But the scan utility in windows says that no scanner is connected. I had a similar problem with the Canon scanner before this one. And when you call tech support they want money to help you. I think I am done with Canon scanners. If they cannot make them work consistently with the most popular OS in the World...who needs them.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Look into VueScan by Hamrick Software.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, John. I already put in an order for an inexpensive Brother model.  I like their black & white printer.

I just saw your response above. What model Brother did you buy?

And I'm puzzled by your comment about their black & white printer.  You don't mean that your new Brother scanner is also a printer?  Or did you?

I purchased VueScan and have been using it to interface with a CanoScan 9000f via Windows 11 Pro.  I find I have to uninstall and reinstall Vuescan every time I exit the VueScan app, otherwise the scanner whirs, shows “calibrating”  in the VueScan interface window, and then does nothing.  Sent problem report to VueScan along with their log files and they just shrug their shoulders.  All settings are maintained between sessions and I have successfully scanned hundreds of photos.  Just don’t understand why I have to uninstall and reinstall every time I want to use the application.

To make your printer work for pdf you can use NAPS2.
Worked for me. I´m so happy now : )

Announcements