cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R40 Scanner still not working--Canon, can we get a response after MONTHS of nothing, please?

jbunshaft
Enthusiast

I'm starting a new thread, since Canon people popped in once or twice on the prior one and seem to have ignored it since then.

I have a Canon R40 ImageFormula scanner. A few months back, it stopped working. The included software wouldn't work. Said it had a "TWAIN" error. I tried every suggestion folks put out there. Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, the whole software package, etc.  No luck with any of that.

So I have a useless scanner and an ever-increasing stack of documents I can't scan. It may be that a Microsoft update changed something and that started this whole issue. I wouldn't really know. I'm an end user, not a tech guy. What I do know is, the device I paid Canon hundreds of dollars for isn't working. I'd really appreciate a solution. For that matter, even some courtesy, where a Canon representative says, "yes, we know, and we're working on a fix" and a timeframe for when this will be done would be nice. Can someone please get on this?

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
15 REPLIES 15

Thank you, Cannert! I'm hoping I don't jinx myself by saying this (and wind up back here in a couple of days because it again stopped working), but this seems to have worked. I'm back in business and starting to catch up on my backlog of documents that needed to be scanned. Thank you !!!

useless reply

olsenii
Apprentice

I had the same problem after a Windows update. Turned out that it was Widows Defender that blocked the communication. Short term I solved it by turning off Windows Defender when scanning, but that is not a sustainable slution and Canon needs to come up with a patch.

Hello.

Windows defender and other security programs have the ability to shut down communications for the scanner or to stop essential services from running. Your security software will have settings that will let specific apps and services through. You would need to allow the Canon applications through for them to run while the defender is on. If there is a problem with the registry and it prevents the computer from properly opening the twain folder where the computer stores the scanner drivers, it can also cause issues. You can download and install the restoration tool for the Windows registry to resolve the issue using the link HERE. You will find it under the utilities tab. If you need assistance with getting the scanner to work properly with Windows 11, you can also contact our support team at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist.

Frustrated-2022
Contributor

I got through to Canon Support. They do not have a solution to this issue. They told me that more than just Canon are having problems with Windows 11 regarding basically a print-scan function. To me it sounds very much like we are stuck with rebooting Win 11 every time the scanner stops working. It also sounds like either Microsoft is the culprit or, everyone is just pointing fingers saying it's the other guy's fault. . . . . . reminds me of 4th grade all over again.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements