cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R40 scanner Twain error

guthrie
Enthusiast

I have an R40 scanner, love it - except --!!

after about a day or so of working fine, any usage gives the error:

"An error has occurred within the TWAIN driver, [Error 80FF0001]"

The only solution seems to be to reboot windows, and then all is fine again, for awhile. (Windows-64)

This basically makes it unusable - I can't reboot every time I need to use it.

Emails and calls to Cannon technical support have not helped. After two rounds of the typical "reinstall...", they sent some patch, which did not help. This seems to be a known problem in user reports and the Cannon support staff, but no solutions.

Anyone have any hints for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cannert
Apprentice

The following process works reliably for me:

1. Stop the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" service
    (From the Windows Start menu, type "services", click on the WIA entry, select the "stop" link at upper left).
  2. Turn on scanner and use.

It works until the next reboot.  I keep the Services app pinned to my task bar with Name sorted in reverse order so I can quickly get to the WIA service. I have uninstalled/reinstalled with the latest drivers and software and nothing else works for me.  

Be sure to write an on-line review at the store where you bought your scanner so that others will be warned of the problem and to raise visibility with Canon.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The error appears to be proprietary.  I didn't get any results when I searched.

"Windows 64" is what version and build of windows?

Laptop, desktop?

Is the scanner connected directly to a USB port on the laptop or motherboard?  Since you have already investigated the software route, have you tried replacing the cable and testing on a different port?

Do you have other Printers/Scanners installed that might interfere?

What about 3rd party anti-virus software?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the note.

Desktop, usb via hub. I don't see how it is hardware, since it works fine always after reboot for a day+, and then fails. I can try moving the connection after a failure, but hardware wouldn't give that symptom i don;t think.

One review in Amazon mentioned how they hadn't gotten the "dreaded Twain error", which made me think others have gotten it.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Its likely the hub.  Test direct connection.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks - will try that - when it next fails(!). Usually stays good for a day or so..

Not sure why that would be intermittent, and change after a reboot - but ... anything is possible I suppose.

Changing from hub to direct USB - no effect.

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Guthrie. I see that you are getting a TWAIN driver error (80FF0001) when you try to use your imageFORMULA R40 and you have installed the patch we sent you. If you did not reach out to us after installing the patch, please call us at 1-800-652-2666, Monday - Friday 8:00 A.M. - 8:00 P.M. ET (excluding holidays). If you have already contacted us, we recommend that you check with your computer's manufacturer. We have seen that security programs may interfere with the TWAIN driver, so if you have any running, you can contact the company that makes that software. Thanks for your contributions to the community.

I can try to call again, but this will be the 5th time to have to try to solve this.

I would like to see some logging information from your tool, or some resolution of the actual error message. So far I have only gotten generic responses - Reinstall, try this patch, update, maybe it is hardware (which symptoms do not match), ...

For Canon saying "some other program may be causing it, ask them", is not really helpful.

Call them and say that some other vendor thinks their product may be affecting their twain driver - this is just "finger pointing", and I don't think would resolve anything.

Another Canon site (https://hk.canon/en/support/0100967901) shows another Twain driver download -

DR-M200_series_driver_ver.1.1.11803.19001_SP2

is this newer than what Canon US provides, and it it compatible, and should I try it?

I am having the same problem, however re-booting does not work for me.  What did work for a few days was moving the usb cable to another usb port, but now that does not work.  So my scanner is useless for now.

Announcements