cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R40 scanner Twain error

guthrie
Enthusiast

I have an R40 scanner, love it - except --!!

after about a day or so of working fine, any usage gives the error:

"An error has occurred within the TWAIN driver, [Error 80FF0001]"

The only solution seems to be to reboot windows, and then all is fine again, for awhile. (Windows-64)

This basically makes it unusable - I can't reboot every time I need to use it.

Emails and calls to Cannon technical support have not helped. After two rounds of the typical "reinstall...", they sent some patch, which did not help. This seems to be a known problem in user reports and the Cannon support staff, but no solutions.

Anyone have any hints for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cannert
Apprentice

The following process works reliably for me:

1. Stop the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" service
    (From the Windows Start menu, type "services", click on the WIA entry, select the "stop" link at upper left).
  2. Turn on scanner and use.

It works until the next reboot.  I keep the Services app pinned to my task bar with Name sorted in reverse order so I can quickly get to the WIA service. I have uninstalled/reinstalled with the latest drivers and software and nothing else works for me.  

Be sure to write an on-line review at the store where you bought your scanner so that others will be warned of the problem and to raise visibility with Canon.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Hi. I'd be interested in whatever patch is available. I'm having the exact same problem. That TWAIN driver error. I've tried reinstalling the Canon driver. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the full software package. Nothing works. My R40 is now essentially a large paperweight. Please help!

Yes - it is really a bummer!

I do find that it works for a few days after a reboot - yours also?

Here is what they gave me after a phone call. It is disappointing that they won't resolve through email - but you have to call, wait, wait, repeat everything, and then still no solutions.

Subject: Patch for ISIS Error: Case #3010060002

Close CaptureOnTouch and any other scanning software.  

Click the below link to download picndln_install_08262020.exe.  

Run the file and Click Install.  

After the installation is complete click close and Reboot the PC.  

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvRCjn26B1KVtUgc5bSEdZ9djo--?e=wEka6E 

It didn't help me.

Recommendations for not using a USB hub, no effect.

Argh!

Hi everyone, 

A client of mine had this problem last month. I spent a few hours troubleshooting to no happiness. The next day she called Canon Customer Support on her own and they remoted into her computer and fixed the issue.  I wasn't there for the call, but it seems they downloaded and installed picndln_install_08262020.exe .  I don't know how it works or if requires any further configuration, but everything is going smoothly now. Before I reported back here, I wanted to wait a couple of weeks to make sure their fix actually stuck, and it seems like it did/does. Guthrie, I'm sorry this program didn't work for you, but I hope this helps someone else.  

driverfail
Apprentice

I'm replying onto this to also mention I'm experiencing the issue. Updated to the driver released on 12/11 and re-installed the scanner. Still getting the same issue. Is there no official statement from Canon regarding this? 

Nothing useful. See earlier note about a patch, which did not solve anything for me.

Their customer support always says - "call us", but then they really don't have anything specific to report or respond.

jbunshaft
Enthusiast

Looks like a couple of posts have been deleted. So rather than fix this issue and stand by their product, they're censoring us? Or am I mistaking what's going on?

I think they are there - just hidden by default - there is a "Load previous Replies button" at th etop.

However,

I'd rather see a "Yes, we understand, and will address this" response. 🙂

I like a suggestion above, post feedback on amazon, or wherever you bought it.

jbunshaft
Enthusiast

Okay, that's better, I guess, but you're right. How about they just say they're going to help figure it out. We bought their product and just want it to work. Is that so much to ask?

Oldwizard
Apprentice

This error happened to me this morning on a colleague's new Win11 computer. I uninstalled all the software and re-installed to no effect. It took me a long time to realise that uninstalling still left an instance of the R40 in the devices folder, the twain driver was trying to use that. Once I had removed that, restarted the computer, re installed the R40 software, all worked fine. I was much relieved as we have a lot of scanning to do. Hope this helps somebody.

Thanks! I'll give that a try!

Announcements