cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manually clean Pro-100

mknabster
Contributor

Hi there, I have been a happy user of my Pro-100 for over 7 years now, but i have been noticing a few issues with printing over the past few jobs i have been doing, not sure if they are all related, but who knows. Here are my issues:

1. On the lower left of what is printed out, i get a black smudge on the paper. I have test this out with all different types of paper types and sizes, but they all seem to have the exact same type of smudge in that section of the paper.
  2. The prints are overly dark as of late, and sometimes the colors are completely off. For example, i was printing a card that was supposed to be different shades of red, but for some reason, it came out as green. I did replace the magenta tank and that did kind of fix it, but the original tank was only 75% used.

I have gone through all of the utility options to try to clean this out, and the nozzles do seem to be printing in the proper patterns, though the colors are off or are too dark, or not dark enough in some cases. That smudge i also driving me nuts. So my question is on what is the best way to manually clean this thing out, as the software tests/utilities don't seem to be doing much. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can go into the printer driver and print a pattern print. Then you could dial in and save an adjustment. 

I will just throw this out because others have been through this. Sometimes smudged prints that don’t dry are caused by printing on the back side, which looks almost the same as the correct side, but isn’t coated. The Luster and SemiGloss papers are famous for this. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome.

You can go into the printer driver and use the bottom plate cleaning and roller cleaning options to try and address the smudge.

You could also open the lid and use a clean lint free cloth, like the utility towels you can get at Lowe's, and absorb any ink that has deposited on the metal track where the head travels. Don't rub and be careful not to go past the track and hit the encoder strip.

You should also run a nozzle check to be sure the head is printing all colors correctly.

Screenshot 2022-04-25 152254.jpgIf you aren't getting a proper nozzle check you will never get good prints.

Standard questions - are you using Canon OEM ink? Any change the cartridges are in the wrong locations?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for your response John! I have done those all a few times, the bottom plate and roller cleanings did work temporarily, but then when i went to print something, the smudge came back, but in a slightly different location. I have verified that the inks tanks are in their appropriate spots, and yes, I am using Canon inks.

What about the nozzle check. Is it OK? If so, can you post the print dialogue display for your software to verify the settings?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It does show as OK, what do you mean by posting the print dialog display? where would i go for that?

If the nozzle check is correct but your prints are off I an guessing there may be a print setting problem. Can you pist a screenshot of the settings you use when you go to print from your software? What software are you printing from? Mac or Windows computer?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The print nozzle check is correct yes, but the issue lies with the color vibrancy and brightness (too dark) of the prints themselves. Plus i get that black smudge at the top of each print as well.

I pretty much use the built-in Canon settings for the paper types, so i have Luster and Semi-Gloss sizes, but i also print on matte for making cards. For the cards i use Hallmark Card Creator, and for pictures i use either Photoshop, Illustrator, or the built in Windows Photo Viewer.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try printing this test image. Just open in your software and print it. Don’t make any adjustments. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNpngg2Z6dbhIYE7t2R7z6PJPAblw

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It actually came out pretty darn good, the lighting does look darker/not as vibrant as what i would expect it to look like. Now i wonder if it's the paper i'm using that is causing the smudging to happen, as it didn't happen on this print at all. I did use the Photo Paper Plus Glossy II setting since i printed it on the Canon glossy photo paper.

You can go into the printer driver and print a pattern print. Then you could dial in and save an adjustment. 

I will just throw this out because others have been through this. Sometimes smudged prints that don’t dry are caused by printing on the back side, which looks almost the same as the correct side, but isn’t coated. The Luster and SemiGloss papers are famous for this. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements