cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-1000 5100 error

michaelcolby
Apprentice

i am getting an 5100 error trying to print a 17x22 print.  After i got the 5100 error i restarted the printer, was able to print a small test print on  8 1/2 x 11 paper just fine and a able to print an 8 1/2 x 11 nozzle check page.

after successfully printing those 2 i tried printing the 17x22 print again and it failed again with a 5100 error.

my ink cartridge levels are low but not empty.  There is obviously nothing jammed or stuck in the paper path because the 8 1/2 x 11's printed just fine. On the failed 17x22's it printed the first inch or so of the print, the first couple of printing passes across the paper, before it failed.  

what is the resolution for this?  is this complaining that it doesnt' think i have enough ink to complete a 17x22 print, but is ok with printing smaller prints?

help!

pro1000inklevel.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi michaelcolby,

Because this issue is hardware related, it is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi michaelcolby,

Because this issue is hardware related, it is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

michaelcolby
Apprentice

i did.  They provided the solution of cleaning the timing strip.  cleaning it, with a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol solved the issue. I was able to print a 17x22 print successfully.  

given that i haven't open that cover (to the internals of the printers) since installing the print heads at initial setup 10 months ago (so i know i hadn't put any fingerprints on that timing strip recently) it is clear that its probably necessary to clean it occasionally, that it picks up nearly invisible schmutz from the paper used to print. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements