Canon Community Canon Community

Honored Contributor

Re: Canon Pro 100 Printer Stopped Printing Correctly

If you run a nozzle check it will tell you ho many prints have been made. Call the tech line Arthur J posted and see if they have any suggestions.

When Canon runs the rebate you can get a brand new printer for less cost than the ink set in the box, so that is a bright spot.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor

Hey John

I have run the printer utility and done the 4 maintenance items Cleaning, Deep Cleaning, Bottom Plate Cleaning and Roller Cleaning (twice) - but where is the Nozzle Check you are referring to -- did not see it in the printer utility ????

I will also call.

Yes when I am ready I can get a $250 rebate for a new one (until Dec 31st) -- less money than the ink.

Thanks

Terry

Occasional Contributor

Hi John:

I went thru the entire thread for this issue and did not see a telelphone number from Arthur J for Pro 100 Tech support that you referred to ....

Thanks

Terry

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I thought he posted it. 1-800-OK-CANON
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Esteemed Contributor

The key is to make sure to AVOID the "AirPrint" version of the driver when using this Canon printer.

AirPrint is Apple's easy & convenient driver... but it usually doesn't offer the full set of features or as much control.

In Apple's "System Preferences" -> "Printers & Scanners", highlight your PRO-100 printer and click the "-" icon at the bottom of your list of printers to remove it's definition.

Next click the "+" button to re-add the printer and this will start you through a process where you'll make a few decision.  BE CAREFUL HERE... because the _defaults_ will just put the AirPrint driver back in (which is not what you want.)

If you've previously set the printer up for use as a network printer (the factory default is USB-only because the printer needs an IP address assignment to work as a network printer) then you should be able to do the following:

Hit the "+" and pick "Add Printer or Scanner"

This will open a panel with a partial list of printers... don't pick anything  (yet).  Wait about 30 seconds (because you'll probably see the list update again).

When I do this on mine, I immediately see my Canon printer show up with the "Kind" column set to "Bonjour".  BUT... after waiting several seconds, I'll see a 2nd entry for the SAME Canon printer show up but with "Kind" set to "Canon IJ Network".  

You want to pick the one that says "Canon IJ Network"

You'll the bottom of the panel will show the printer name (e.g. "Canon PRO-100 series")

You'll see a "Location" box (which is empty... that's just for you.  If you were in an office with lots of printers of the same make & model, you can use that as a note field (e.g. 2nd floor printer... 3rd floor printer, etc.)  Since this is probably the only Canon PRO-100 printer in your house and you probably know where it is, you can leave that box alone.)

IMPORTANT:  Make sure the "Use:" selection says "Canon PRO-100 series".  If it says "Auto Select" or "AirPrint" then you need to change it to "Canon PRO-100 series".

This will force it to use the Canon printer driver (also called a "CUPS" driver.  CUPS stands for "Common Unix Printer Service" because macOS is based on the Unix operating system.)

Having done this, you now have the most-complete, most full-featured driver availalbe for your printer.

I have a couple other printers that I use for documents, etc. and the AirPrint driver is fine for those.  But for the photo printer, I avoid the use of the AirPrint / Bonjour driver.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Occasional Contributor

Hey John

I have run the printer utility and done the 4 maintenance items Cleaning, Deep Cleaning, Bottom Plate Cleaning and Roller Cleaning (twice) -but where is the Nozzle Check you are referring to -- did not see it in the printer utility ????

Thanks

Terry

Honored Contributor

On the Mac its called the Print Test Page button.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH