cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pro 100 Printer Stopped Printing Correctly

tjdonofrio
Contributor

After operating without any issues for 3 years my Canon Pro100 started printing very badly -- colors not correct, colors washed out, no contrast or sharpness of any kind -- I changed the ink tanks even some not needing changing -- ran all cleaning utilities (twice)  and the test pages printed correctly -- prints are still all washed out and not correct 

UsIng a MacBook Pro with High Sierra -- note printer communicates correctly for color prints with my HP All-in-One.

Any similar experiences or thoughts on a solution.   Thank You

Regards

Terry D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi tjdonofrio,

The sequence you listed is the best way to remove and reinstall the printer.

As far as connecting with a USB, that is really up to to you. If you only print from the one device and dont need to print wirelessly from other devices then I would recommend connecting the printer with the USB cord.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Hey John

I have run the printer utility and done the 4 maintenance items Cleaning, Deep Cleaning, Bottom Plate Cleaning and Roller Cleaning (twice) - but where is the Nozzle Check you are referring to -- did not see it in the printer utility ????

I will also call.

Yes when I am ready I can get a $250 rebate for a new one (until Dec 31st) -- less money than the ink.

Thanks

Terry

Hi John:

I went thru the entire thread for this issue and did not see a telelphone number from Arthur J for Pro 100 Tech support that you referred to ....

Thanks

Terry

Hey John

I have run the printer utility and done the 4 maintenance items Cleaning, Deep Cleaning, Bottom Plate Cleaning and Roller Cleaning (twice) -but where is the Nozzle Check you are referring to -- did not see it in the printer utility ????

Thanks

Terry

Hi tjdonofrio,

Please follow the steps below to perform the nozzle check.

You need to prepare a sheet of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper.

1. Make sure that the power is turned on.

2. Make sure that one or more sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper are loaded in the rear tray.

Important:  The manual feed tray is not available for the nozzle check pattern print.  Be sure to load paper in the rear tray.

3. Open the paper output tray gently, then pull out the output tray extension.

Important:  If the inner cover is open, close it.

4. Hold down the RESUME/CANCEL button until the POWER lamp flashes white twice, then release it immediately.
    The nozzle check pattern will be printed.

Do not perform any other operations until the printer completes the printing of the nozzle check pattern.

5. Examine the Nozzle Check Pattern.

HI Arthur J:

I executed the Nozzle Check following your instructions -- there were no white streaks on the printout -- at the bottom of the printout it says 351 - 400 pages ... please note I have seen this printout before because I have done the cleaning, deep cleaning, roller cleaning and bottom plate cleaning twice using the printer utility and printed the test page after each cleaning -- the same printout with the 8 colors prints and I never see white streaks ....

It seems to me that 351-400 pages is a low amount of printer use for failure to occur.  It did stop printing correctly all of a sudden.  

When I reloaded the printer I did use "Canon IJ Network" not Bonjour .... 

Nothing seems to fail on this printer during testing but it does not print correctly ... anything else to consider at this point ????

Regards

Terry Donofrio 

HI tjdonofrio,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance. You will have the option to speak to one of our phone or live chat agents.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Mine is connected bu USB to a PC and WiFi to two Macs. Equally easy.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I thought he posted it. 1-800-OK-CANON
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The key is to make sure to AVOID the "AirPrint" version of the driver when using this Canon printer.

AirPrint is Apple's easy & convenient driver... but it usually doesn't offer the full set of features or as much control.

In Apple's "System Preferences" -> "Printers & Scanners", highlight your PRO-100 printer and click the "-" icon at the bottom of your list of printers to remove it's definition.

Next click the "+" button to re-add the printer and this will start you through a process where you'll make a few decision.  BE CAREFUL HERE... because the _defaults_ will just put the AirPrint driver back in (which is not what you want.)

If you've previously set the printer up for use as a network printer (the factory default is USB-only because the printer needs an IP address assignment to work as a network printer) then you should be able to do the following:

Hit the "+" and pick "Add Printer or Scanner"

This will open a panel with a partial list of printers... don't pick anything  (yet).  Wait about 30 seconds (because you'll probably see the list update again).

When I do this on mine, I immediately see my Canon printer show up with the "Kind" column set to "Bonjour".  BUT... after waiting several seconds, I'll see a 2nd entry for the SAME Canon printer show up but with "Kind" set to "Canon IJ Network".  

You want to pick the one that says "Canon IJ Network"

You'll the bottom of the panel will show the printer name (e.g. "Canon PRO-100 series")

You'll see a "Location" box (which is empty... that's just for you.  If you were in an office with lots of printers of the same make & model, you can use that as a note field (e.g. 2nd floor printer... 3rd floor printer, etc.)  Since this is probably the only Canon PRO-100 printer in your house and you probably know where it is, you can leave that box alone.)

IMPORTANT:  Make sure the "Use:" selection says "Canon PRO-100 series".  If it says "Auto Select" or "AirPrint" then you need to change it to "Canon PRO-100 series".

This will force it to use the Canon printer driver (also called a "CUPS" driver.  CUPS stands for "Common Unix Printer Service" because macOS is based on the Unix operating system.)

Having done this, you now have the most-complete, most full-featured driver availalbe for your printer.

I have a couple other printers that I use for documents, etc. and the AirPrint driver is fine for those.  But for the photo printer, I avoid the use of the AirPrint / Bonjour driver.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
On the Mac its called the Print Test Page button.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements