cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borderless Printing for 5.5 x 8.5 cards

mouser
Apprentice

I have a Pro-200 and have been able to print my cards on 5.5 x 8.5 with no border. I am using Photoshop and evidently a setting has changed and I can no longer get my cards to print without borders. I have tried every setting I can find and have had no luck.

I am using a Mac (Big Sur)

Photoshop

Paper is 5.5 x 8.5 

I would be grateful for any help anyone can give me.

Debbie

3 REPLIES 3

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Mouser,

When printing on custom sizes, the printer will put a .25 inch border on the paper. If you are trying to print borderlessly, my best suggestion would be to make your custom size .25 inches larger to accommodate for the mandatory border. You might need to turn of the setting to detect the paper width using the steps in the link HERE.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Leslie01
Apprentice

Have you found a solution to this issue? I'm having trouble printing full bleed on my 5.5x8.5 cards. I'm using a Mac with Monterey and Photoshop.

zimmy
Contributor

You can print A2 cards (5.5" x 8.5") and other card sizes on the Pro 200. I've printed thousands on the Pro 100 and recently just purchased the Pro 200 which works just the same.

To get it to work you need to disable width detection as mentioned here: https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/ErrorCode/PRO-200%20series/EN/ERR/1062.html?ref=1062

In Photoshop (or whichever software you are using) create a 8" x 10" document. Center your 5.5" x 8.5" design and move it flush to the top. You can now print this using the 8" x 10" Borderless setting with the printer. This also works with designs that go past the border as shown in the attached screenshot. There you will see the dotted line which marks the 5.5" x 8.5" paper and the design which extends slightly beyond. This way you can set the "Borderless Extension Amount" to minimum which gives you the most accurate print. Alternately you can make your borderless design exactly 5.5" x 8.5" and then set the borderless extension to 2 or 3. But I've always used the first method.

Do note that with this "trick", borderless printing only works on the leading (top) edge and the sides. The trailing edge (end) will not print past the border. This is generally not a problem as only the front (top) half of a greeting card generally has the design that may need to be printed borderless. So make sure your card design is on the top in the document. If you have cards that require borderless printing also for the trailing edge (back of the card) then you can stick a post-it note underneath so that it sticks out slightly at the end (just a 1/4 inch is enough). This fools the printer into thinking the paper is longer than it actually is and thus print past the end. If you're printing a few this is a suitable trick.

Also, depending on how many borderless cards you print and how heavy the ink usage is, you will at some point have to clean the bottom plastic ridges that surround the ink sponge (foam strip) which you see when you open up the printer. Over time the ink gradually builds up on those ridges that are right on the outside of the 5.5" paper. If you do not clean them as needed (with a cotton swab and some water or alcohol) the build-up will eventually smear the underside of the cards. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Screenshot.png

Announcements