cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I install the right driver for my PRO-300?

mrswitters
Contributor

I just received my new PRO-300. I went through the installation process, selected the Canon PRO-300 Bonjour in the driver interface, and then "Canon PRO-300 Series" from the drop-down menu.

But when I look at the printer in "Printers & Scanners", the name of the driver installed is "Canon PRO-300 Series-Airprint". Does that mean I installed the AirPrint version? I know I'm not supposed to do that. My Canon PRO-100 printer shows "Canon PRO-100 Series", and doesn't include "AirPrint". 

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 8.58.26 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mrswitters
Contributor

I found instructions for completely removing and resintalling the driver, and that did the trick. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mrswitters
Contributor

A little more info. When I click on "Options and Supplies", this is what I see:

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.46.52 AM.png

This makes me think the driver is installed correctly, because it shows the Canon PRO-300 Series driver 3.0. 

But when I go to print, I don't see all of the options that I think I'm supposed to see for the Canon PRO-300:

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.45.05 AM.png

For example, there is no "Color Options" choice where I would configure settings for B&W printing. 

What am I doing wrong?

mrswitters
Contributor

I found instructions for completely removing and resintalling the driver, and that did the trick. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Yes, you have the AirPrint version that you do not want. Repeat the add process and for the Canon IJ Series driver to appear. It could take several minutes. Then delete the AirPrint version. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

benjamingrant
Apprentice

For anyone still encountering this issue, it can be a bit confusing as some of the nomenclature has changed somewhat with current canon IJ setup and installation. Long story short, it is entirely possible to wind up with the airprint driver installed instead of the cups driver (which is what you want to avoid many issues and have complete control over printing, with correct borders and margins, even when using Canon's Professional Print & Layout app).

So, if you are experiencing uneven margins, undesired borders on two edges, and other similar issues...

Firstly, go to the Canon support download, which for the pro-300 is here -> https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageprograf-pro-300

Download the driver named "PRO-300 CUPS Printer Driver Ver.26.10.0.0 (Mac) "

Versions will change over time but the point is you need the CUPS driver, not the airprint driver.

Install it, and add a new printer as jrhoffman explains above then remove the old one when you've confirmed it has the correct driver by inspecting the printer settings under Printers & Scanners. If it still says airprint you haven't fixed the issue.

What is currently as of this writing confusing is there is no distinction made in the install printer dialog windows, between the two drivers, both simply display as "Canon PRO-300 series" and the specific version isn't visible until you inspect the settings on an installed printer on MacOS.

Of course the big tipoff is the missing advanced and detailed settings in the print dialog, as well, when printing directly from the driver via the OS print dialog, or from within Lightroom when opening printer settings (see attached, which is what you will get with the proper driver installed).

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.47.16 AM.png

As Mr. Grant says there is no way ahead of time to determine which driver is showing up. Usually the AirPrint driver appears first, so waiting until a second driver appears and selecting that will generally give the Canon driver. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements