cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Pixma MG 2500 Will not Install.

charchar_le
Apprentice

Hi,

I bought a brand new Canon Pixma MG 2500 Printer and it will not install. I downloaded the driver from the Canon website (I do not have a CD drive on my computer) and the software will not detect the printer even though the wire is connected from the printer to the computer. I am trying to install the printer to a PC Windows 10 computer. Please HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The CD that comes with the printer is obsolete by the time it makes it to your home.  It probably sat on a shelf in a store or warehouse for many months before you purchased it.  Using the drives from the support portal is always preferred.

So you are using a USB connection with the printer.  Does your operating system detect the printer when you connect it?  There is usually an audible sound when you connect/disconnect a USB device?  It needs to be powered on.

If you don't, then I'd ask the following:

Are you sure the cable you are connecting with is good?

Are you connecting the cable directly to a USB port on the computer or to a hub or adapter?

Are you running any 3rd party anti-virus that might be blocking the detection of the device?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The CD that comes with the printer is obsolete by the time it makes it to your home.  It probably sat on a shelf in a store or warehouse for many months before you purchased it.  Using the drives from the support portal is always preferred.

So you are using a USB connection with the printer.  Does your operating system detect the printer when you connect it?  There is usually an audible sound when you connect/disconnect a USB device?  It needs to be powered on.

If you don't, then I'd ask the following:

Are you sure the cable you are connecting with is good?

Are you connecting the cable directly to a USB port on the computer or to a hub or adapter?

Are you running any 3rd party anti-virus that might be blocking the detection of the device?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

charchar_le
Apprentice

Hi Rick,

Thank so much for responding! Yes, I downloaded the recommended driver from the Canon website. During the installation of printer, the printer is detected since the printer make noises and seems to be getting ready for the set up and the driver states the printer is detected and processing the installation. However the installation process is incomplete due to the connection. It has asked me to check on the connection between the printer and computer which is connected.

charchar_le
Apprentice

Hi!

Here is the update. It was the USB cord connection. The manufactor gave me a bad USB connection so I replaced it with another one and I was able to complete my installation. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Good news.  Glad to hear you are working now.  Enjoy the new device.

Happy Holidays

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

clarie26
Apprentice

Had the same problem.. I uninstalled all unfinished drivers, restarted my laptop and reinstalled it again (downloaded from this website) I also tried using my other usb cable which is also from a canon IP2700 printer that works fine. But still, the new printer can't be detected. Please help..... I'm getting really frustrated. 

diny13601
Apprentice

The Canon software does not recognize the printer. I know that I don't need a new cable because I go through this every time I buy a new Canon Pixma 2522 printer. There is a trick which I have somewhere on one of my multiple USB drives. Last time, I called support and they told me what the trick is. I hear the ding. My cable is fine and my OS recognizes the printer but the Canon software doesn't. 

I tried the disk then downloaded the software. Neither worked. Another pain in the patootie from Canon. It doesn't even list the file names. It only tells you what the file is. So, if you download all of them at once, you have no idea which is which. I always have to make a list then write down what each one is so that I can install them correctly. 

It's a great printer whenever it finally installs. It is just the installation issue that always holds me up and, of course, Canon, with their wealth of products can't be bothered having customer support except M-F. How convenient. They sell billions of dollars of products each year (over $4 billion according to Yahoo Finance) but could care less whether customers hate their apps and can't use the printers that they bought from them because the software has a bug. I'm a software geek and a former database administrator but I can't make it work unless I wait until Monday or start searching for my directions. It's just a simple thing that I can't remember. When I find out what it is, I will let everyone know. 

Techy types, don't tell me that it is my cable (which is securely connected) or the wrong software. Tell me what to do when both are fine but it still doesn't work. That's the only answer I am interested in. 

Announcements