cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System hangs when using Toolbox to scan mf4350d: Windows 8.1

MarkNYC
Apprentice

I have been having trouble with my Canon mf4350d. It used to work with no problems prior to upgrade to Windows 8 then 8.1. Printing and faxing work fine, but when I try to scan, the Toolbox program hangs, dims out on the screen and says Not Responding. It's as if the Toolbox program does not work in Windows 8.x. When I remove and reload the drivers and Toolbox software, it works again for the first time but then will not work the second time. Any ideas on how I can fix this? I need a scanner that works all the time.

31 REPLIES 31

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Mark NYC.

I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the MF Toolbox in "Selective Startup Mode".

First, place the computer in "Selective Startup by following the steps below:

1.  Open the Windows 8 [Search] box.

2.  In the window,  type: Msconfig

3.  Hit enter on the keyboard.

4.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

5.  Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

6.  Click Apply.

7.  Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button.

8.  Click 'Disable All'.

9.  Click Apply.

10.  Click Close.

11.  Restart the computer.

Next, uninstall the MF Toolbox by going to [Control Panel] > [Programs and Features] > [Uninstall a Program] > [Canon] > [Canon MF Toolbox 4.9] > [Uninstall].  Once you have the Toolbox uninstalled, restart the computer.  After the computer has booted back up, install the Toolbox program again.  Restart the computer again and then scan a document.

Once you have successfully scanned a document, place the computer back into "Normal Startup Mode by following the steps below:

1.  Open the Windows 8 [Search] box.

2.  In the window, type: Msconfig

4.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.  The Services tab automatically returns to the previous settings.

5.  Click Apply.

6.  Click Close.

7.  Restart the computer.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.  If you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  Have a good day.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrice,

These instructions worked well and I have not had a problem since making the changes you specified. Many thanks for your support. It's great to see a problem resolved!

I followed these same instructions and the Toolbox scanned my documents until I returned to Normal Startup mode. When I did that the scanner again does not work. I get an error message that there is a cable unhooked and then when I attempt to close the Toolbox it tells me the program is not responding.

What to do? I don't want to reinstall every time I need to scan.

Thanks,

Hi Pointerdog.

Since the previous instructions did not resolve the issue, please try the steps below:

1. Open the Windows desktop.

2. Right click on the MF Toolbox icon and click properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab, then click "Change settings for all users".

4. Put a check next to "Run this program as an administrator", then click Apply and OK.

5. Click OK again on the properties screen.

The MF Toolbox should operate normally for scanning.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If the error persists, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Patrice,

I have gone through all the steps and the toolbox has stopped hanging.

But, now it says that a supported scanner is not installed?

Please help.  There has to be an easier way, this is such a nightmare!

i am having this very same problem and i am getting quite fed up with having to "UNINSTALL and REINSTALL". I keep getting the following reply from Windows "Incompatible Program". Basically, between Microsaft and Canon user's are being told "sorry about your luck".

There has to be a SOLID FINAL fix for this situation. I am not going to purchase a new machine just to get a workable software package. I have, in fact, uninstalled, downloaded and reinstalled eleven (count them, 11) times. I can't keep waisting company time to keep this scanner working. Do you have a Permanent fix for this?

HP 400-224 PC

Windows 8.1

Canon MF4350d

MF Toolbox V4.9

Any help would be MORE that appreciated.

Hi allietrading.

I recommend performing the previous steps in this forum.  First, uninstall and reinstall the MF Toolbox in 'Selective Startup Mode'.

First, place the computer in "Selective Startup by following the steps below:

1.  Open the Windows 8 [Search] box.

2.  In the window,  type: Msconfig

4.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

5.  Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

6.  Click Apply.

7.  Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button.

8.  Click 'Disable All'.

9.  Click Apply.

10.  Click Close.

11.  Restart the computer.

Next, uninstall the MF Toolbox by going to [Control Panel] > [Programs and Features] > [Uninstall a Program] > [Canon] > [Canon MF Toolbox 4.9] > [Uninstall].  Once you have the Toolbox uninstalled, restart the computer.  After the computer has booted back up, install the Toolbox program again.  Restart the computer again and then scan a document.

Once you have successfully scanned a document, place the computer back into "Normal Startup Mode by following the steps below:

1.  Open the Windows 8 [Search] box.

2.  In the window, type: Msconfig

4.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.  The Services tab automatically returns to the previous settings.

5.  Click Apply.

6.  Click Close.

7.  Restart the computer.

Next, run the MF Toolbox program as an administrator.

1. Open the Windows desktop.

2. Right click on the MF Toolbox icon and click properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab, then click "Change settings for all users".

4. Put a check next to "Run this program as an administrator", then click Apply and OK.

5. Click OK again on the properties screen.

The MF Toolbox should operate normally for scanning.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If the error persists, after performing the steps, we recommend that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

I gues I was not emphatic enough in my post. I have done the proceedures you have expounded above 11 times. It works for a day and stops. Period. this is not a fix it is a removal and reinstallation of the SAME software destined to fail in several days. How can you not understand that there are Canon equipment users who are tired of the repeated solutions over and over? It does not solve the problem.

Patrice,

Previously I reported that the first suggestion you mentioned worked for me. You suggested uninstall/reinstall in Selective Startup Mode. I followed those directions and the Toolbox worked for a couple of months and then the problem reappeared. I then tried setting the toolbox settings to Run as Administrator. That did not work. The only thing that does work is to uninstall and reinstall toolbox, then when it stops working, do more of the same. Surely there is a better option. This is a perfectly good printer but the scanning function is unreliable since Windows 8. How do we get the engineers at Canon to resolve this issue and update the drivers or toolbox software with a fix? If reinstalling works, what is it about reinstalling that fixes the problem and what causes it not to stay fixed?

Announcements