cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Memory card settings, where it saves to switches at random

BFarmer2
Contributor

My Wife an I both have an R5, Both of us are experiencing the same situation with the settings will change on us of which card the video or image will save to. 
We will set it to Save to Card 1 (CFX) save the setting via C1-C3 (whatever one we are using) with the setting that it auto saves settings to whatever we last used. 

After a shoot and pulling out the card to memory dump 1 time or maybe it takes 3 to 4 times it will change the setting to only record photos or Video files to card 2 

This has become an issue as of late and we were seeing if there was a solution out there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My 1D X Mark III will "forget" the card setting if I remove a card and shut the access door. It retains settings if I remove card, download images, and then reinsert card before closing access door.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It does not switch at random.  It adapts itself when you removes memory card.  When you re-insert the memory card, the settings do not change without your intervention.  

Why does it change on its own?  I think the engineers chose the lesser of two evils.  One, the camera is non-functional because you removed one of the memory cards.  Two, the camera adjusts itself to use the remaining memory card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Cameras are always off when cards removed or reinstalled. Never turned on with one card only. 

Interesting...

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you closing the card access door while one of the cards is removed and not reinstalled? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Are you closing the card access door while one of the cards is removed and not reinstalled? 

Aha!  Good point.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hmmm 

The door is closed every time a card is removed or both are removed.
But it does not change the save point EVERY time it is seemingly at random 

My 1D X Mark III will "forget" the card setting if I remove a card and shut the access door. It retains settings if I remove card, download images, and then reinsert card before closing access door.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I will try this out and see what happens, thanks for the hopeful fix

Just went and did this a dozen times and ill be... that was it... I feels silly but also incredulous that Canon would make it do that... I see why but I want that setting off lol

Thanks Legend!

Also, I *think* that the setting in Photo mode can be different from the settings in Video mode.  I've toyed with this a little and that was my conclusion.  e.g. You can set card 1 in Photo mode and card 2 in Video mode.  Or, in your case, you can "fix" the setting in Photo mode but it will still be "the wrong card" in Video mode.

Announcements