cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R50 won't autofocus

carylb
Contributor

The auto focus no longer works on the 2 month old camera with the kit lens.  It worked earlier today and then just quit ...  I do have a 50mm that switches from auto to manual, but maybe the camera is recognizing the manual setting? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No insult intended - but I had to ask as we have to check everything.

Since your camera is under warranty, I would suggest the logical thing is to contact Canon Tech support - assuming you are in the US call 800- OK-CANON and have a chat with them

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

With the RF-S18-45 mounted, and looking at the camera from the top, rotate the zoom ring to the left <<<<<<<  until the focus length scale

18 ..... 45 is aligned with the white line on the lens barrel.  Autofocus will not function unless the lens is unlocked.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

When I hold the shutter half way, it doesn't auto focus. That is the issue. The barrel is extended. It's set to AF and it's the kit lens so adjustment can be made there.  

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@carylb wrote:

The auto focus no longer works on the 2 month old camera with the kit lens.  It worked earlier today and then just quit ...  I do have a 50mm that switches from auto to manual, but maybe the camera is recognizing the manual setting? 

So it doesn't AF with either lens?

First try resetting the camera to clear any inadvertent settings.

Screenshot 2024-09-02 171334.jpg

 If that doesn't work register your camera and contact Canon for support.

Canon Support for EOS R50 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I wonder if you have inadvertently set the camera to manual mode.  Check your manual on P444:

Tronhard_0-1725318507118.png

Yes, I know it says that it is there for lenses without a MF option but it can still be turned onto manual only through this menu option, in which case it may well ignore the lens settings.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,  I wish it was that easy.  I have a 50mm and know how to switch it back and forth.  For some reason, this lens is stuck on manual?   I reset the the settings and still the same. 

carylb,

Is the 50mm the only lens you have tried? Is there any way you can borrow another lens to try it on, if only for a moment or two?

Steve Thomas

No insult intended - but I had to ask as we have to check everything.

Since your camera is under warranty, I would suggest the logical thing is to contact Canon Tech support - assuming you are in the US call 800- OK-CANON and have a chat with them

cheers, TREVOR

carylb
Contributor

I returned the item

Announcements