cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with bright background?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

My granddaughters were having a riding "recital" to show what they learned about horseback riding. I was more or less stuck at the spectator's platform so the horses wouldn't spook. At the far end of the barn was a large open door. Any way to deal with this in the future? Attached isn't edited but reduced 50% to fit.AV, f/405, 1/25, ISO-400, 0 step, 120 mmAV, f/405, 1/25, ISO-400, 0 step, 120 mm

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"In a situation like this, there is no way to avoid blowing out the background so it will never be a "great" capture."

This is correct and why this type situation can't be done successfully in one exposure. The scene has exceeded the dynamic range, DR, of the camera. It is similar to this image but in reverse. (Two exposures BTW)

difficult.jpg

You can do two exposures if possible and edit them in PS. I would also use spot metering put exactly on the rider(s). You can probably use P mode, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Eighty or greater percent of your frame is the open door. I am assuming the horse and rider will be indoors (and thus backlit). That means you will probably need positive exposure compensation to get the subject exposure correct, which will blow out the background more.

Pretty tough conditions.

What camera are you using: f/405 or f/4.5? What does "step"' mean?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Are you allowed to use a flash? If so do ypu have one - not the on camera one?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Flash with animals not the best idea. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I agree but the lighting from where he is apparently seated is way too back lit.

John did you take the photo at the same time of day as the event?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

stevet1
Authority
Authority

john,

There are three things I can think of:

1) Lower your ISO. It looks like you're shooting directly into the sun, and you don't need an ISO of 400.

2) Change the time of day when you are taking this shot so that the sun is not shining directly into your face.

3) Any reason you are taking this particular shot? I don't see any horses or children, just an empty blue barrel. If you can't change the time of day when you are taking a picture, could you swing your camera around to take a picture of the other end of the arena where your back is to the sun and the sun is shining on your subject?

Steve Thomas

The first sentence of the OP is what you missed: "My granddaughters were having a riding "recital" to show what they learned about horseback riding".  So, a specific event, at a specific time and he is shooting from a specific (challenging) location.  I did ask if the sample shot was taken at the same time of day as the actual event in the hope that the light might be different.

We all seem to be singing from the same song book here.  The backlight is brutal and will be blown out big time to get a decent exposure on the riders.  I think metering for the inside and shooting manual exposure seems to be the only reliable way to get an image of the riders.

cheers, TREVOR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I put his image into DxO.  There are subjects in the corral outside the door, but they are so blown out there is nothing which can be recovered.  I took it down 4 stops and it barely made a difference.  Its further limited since the file is .jpg

Since flash is not an option, lower iso and positive exposure compensation, then edit RAW in post like the guys suggested is probably all that can be done.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

Spot metering directly off your granddaughter and then locking in those exposure parameters will get you close to the correct setup.  In a situation like this, there is no way to avoid blowing out the background so it will never be a "great" capture.  You will find that light bleed around the subject will result in poor contrast even with a lot of editing work.

I run into this with sports on rare occasion where I am out of position and need to capture a play backlit by the sun.  Heavily backlit subjects are extremely difficult to capture well and the best you can do is set the exposure correctly for the subject and shoot in RAW to give you the most editing freedom in post. And although you are restricted to the spectator area, analyze the layout to see what angle works best to try to avoid perfectly lining up your granddaughter with the intense backlighting.  A severe angle shot from one or the other side of the spectator area will often work better than "front row center" in a situation like this.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Flash with animals not the best idea." and definitely not the answer nor the solution.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements