cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with bright background?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

My granddaughters were having a riding "recital" to show what they learned about horseback riding. I was more or less stuck at the spectator's platform so the horses wouldn't spook. At the far end of the barn was a large open door. Any way to deal with this in the future? Attached isn't edited but reduced 50% to fit.AV, f/405, 1/25, ISO-400, 0 step, 120 mmAV, f/405, 1/25, ISO-400, 0 step, 120 mm

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"In a situation like this, there is no way to avoid blowing out the background so it will never be a "great" capture."

This is correct and why this type situation can't be done successfully in one exposure. The scene has exceeded the dynamic range, DR, of the camera. It is similar to this image but in reverse. (Two exposures BTW)

difficult.jpg

You can do two exposures if possible and edit them in PS. I would also use spot metering put exactly on the rider(s). You can probably use P mode, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

My response about the flash was made rather tongue in cheek there Ernie.  Perhaps I should have put in smiley faces!🙄 🤔 😉 😁 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hmm, I must be getting slow in my advanced age as it didn’t appear so to me.

EB

EB, I didn't even consider a flash.

John

Good it was a poor suggestion at best 

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"In a situation like this, there is no way to avoid blowing out the background so it will never be a "great" capture."

This is correct and why this type situation can't be done successfully in one exposure. The scene has exceeded the dynamic range, DR, of the camera. It is similar to this image but in reverse. (Two exposures BTW)

difficult.jpg

You can do two exposures if possible and edit them in PS. I would also use spot metering put exactly on the rider(s). You can probably use P mode, too.

EB

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I was confined to a time in the morning so shooting at another time was out. There was a side door but, being raised on a farm, I didn't want to distract the horses by being too close. I did get some good photos and will add them to the appropriate file. The things we do for grandkids! I asked my son if he was going to put a horse in his backyard.🐎

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you have one or two you would like me to edit in PS, perhaps make them better, send them to my email. Send just the Raw file as it comes from the camera.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements