cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Freezing Up Intermittently

llehmann
Enthusiast

Anybody else having this problem with the Canon R6 freezing up. It usually starts with the camera not focusing. Its also becomes none responsive to mode changes. The on/off button doesnt work. Opening the battery door shuts it off... but still doesn't fix it. Pulling the battery out usually fixs the problem right away. But again... not always and sometimes it take a few battery removals to get it back up and running. 

This has happened while shooting both photo and video. It happens with different lenses. It happens with different memory cards. I can't recreate the problem on command. The camera works 99% of the time. But at least once a wedding shoot, over the period of 6 hours, It freezes up!

In the video below... I was attached to the Ronin gimbal. But it's happened just shooting photos and without the gimbal. Plus, when I open the battery door and try and turn the camera on/off... it still doesn't work. Has nothing to do with that.

I was on firmware version 1.4
I updated the firmware this week to version 1.5.0.
This problem has been happening for a long time... 8 months. Camera is less than a year old.

Again, at last nights wedding... it froze. 

Here is a video that I recorded when it happened.
1. Focus isn't working. Both back button and touch.
2. Display freezes up. You can still see the audio working.

3. On/off doesn't work.

4. open battery door... nothing works.

5. Pull Battery

128 REPLIES 128

scubaruth55
Apprentice

I had the same issue again yesterday with my R6 freezing while taking pics. Firmware is up to date and I was using the Canon RF 24-100 lens. It's also happened using my RF 100-400. The camera won't allow me to turn it off I have to remove the battery and put it back in to unfreeze it. Very frustrating when you are shooting wildlife. I've had the camera 11 months and it's happened about 7-8 times. 

JosephKarpinski
Contributor

Applied R6 firmware 1.6 and shot about 4,000 wildlife photos over two days without any issues using the RF 800mm f/11 and 1.4x combinations. Will be out again this weekend. 

jlfratkin
Apprentice

Canon is the issue. They need to address the issue to the public, and issue a recall for all R5 and R6 cameras that have issues and replace them with ones that work. I'm so sick of everyone saying "install the firmware update". The firmware update doesn't fix anything! All the issues people listed above, I'd had these during weddings and missed important shots. Thank goodness I shoot with 2nd and 3rd shooters. 

I love Canon and have shot with Canon for 19 years but I agree, when people say toss them in the trash. I had the same DSLR bodies for 11 years and had zero issues with them firing. Ever. I never should have wasted my money on upgrading.

In my 19 years of shooting, I've never had this many issues with any DSLR. It fired every time. Yet Canon is so fast to dump DSLR's to introduce technology that doesn't work right. Now they have the R6II coming out. Is that the "fix" to the broken R5 & R6? 

Last year I was at WPPI and went to CPS. They simply told me no worries its a firmware thing. They updated both bodies. I'm still having the same issues. I was out on assignment all summer in Alaska, and during epic whale adventures, the camera locked up and froze again, needing the battery to be removed. This should NOT be happening at all. 

Blackscarlet
Contributor

I am currently coming back from work. I work as a club photographer. I have been having major issues with r6 freezing and it just got worse. Sent it to be repaired under warranty, while it was in repairs I ordered an r6 MK2. r6 came back from repair and on first day which was 4 days ago it's started to freeze. this time what was different is I didn't get the error message, so that is going to be sent back again. Fast forward to today. I received MK2 and took it out for my first shoot , and low and behold freezing issues. this time the evf goes all black and so does the back of the screen other times it just does the freezing thing but you can actually switch of the camera. I just don't know what to do. I have literally just had it for 1hr , all my products are canon originals , all up to date firmware. As a club photographer I can't miss my shots due to freezing issues. All my friends in the industry who have both r5 and r6 are having same issue. why is it so quiet and why is there no news report on this? What I have noticed is most of my Issues seem to occur in 3 situations. Lowlight, hot/humid environments and finally moments with flashing background lighting.

I have a feeling it's continous AF that's the culprit. Only had the it a few times, but once I disabled c-AF it sent away. Also drains the battery.

Canon should be much more transparent about, and proof publicly what they have done to reproduce and fix such issues.

For many, their cams are *the* tool to make a living.

I always have continuous AF of as I hated the sound of the camera searching while I wasn't taking any pictures. The problem with this issue is no one can even pin point what is causing it. This leads to frustrations and the communities inability to try and find their own fix. I believe I prob a software issue,

As some else said, it seems no one has been able to pin point the root cause.

But Canon is well aware of these issues, so shame on them for not fixing them, but instead they release new products with the same problems.

That's just a terrible way to treat your loyal users.

There is only one possible response.

Until they are officially acknowledged, fixed and verified, I'm not buying another Canon mirrorless.

I've never had continuous AF on...

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

To All R6 users with this issue. Is your GPS enabled? If so, try turning it off.

If you are shooting within the same building for a client, save your batteries and disable GPS. You only need to grab the GPS coordinates once. You tag the all of the photos in post with the same coordinates.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Definitely not GPS i never use it, my R6 mk2 even has it disables right out of the box.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements