cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 and external intervalometer issue

spurscar
Contributor

So I've used external intervalometers for years with my T series and 70D bodies but having an issue with the R5.  The external intervalometer works the same as previous ones but just with a different end.  I can set up a run fine, like 4 second shots with a 5 second interval and the external intervalometer seems happy with everything and goes about it's program when I click Start.

The problem is the first exposure opens the shutter but after the 4 seconds isn't ending the exposure and closing the shutter.  The intervalometer goes along it's program unaware the camera never ended that first shot.

Best I'm finding on forums and such in searches is that MAYBE I have a bad (brand new) intervalometer.  Suppose that could be it but wanted to ask if anyone else has run into this behavior before.  TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

spurscar
Contributor

Just wanted to update this post that the first intervalometer must have either been faulty or isn't compatible with the R5 like it says it is on Amazon.

However, this intervalometer worked exactly as it should for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR86TMN/

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

I guess so.  Mainly was wondering if anyone specifically had used any of these third party external intervalometers with a Canon R5 successfully before I bought a replacement.

This is the one I bought btw: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBXWL97/

See this image

this timer has a unique timing. If you want a four second exposure and a 1 second gap you set the interval at 5 seconds. See if that resolves your issue. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yep, that's how most intervalometers work.  And the 4 seconds was just an indoor lighted test.  It doesn't matter what I chose - last night was 30 second shots and normally with a wired external intervalometer you set a 31 second interval and it works like you said.  I tried 4 second shots with a 5 second interval, 30 second shots with a 31 second... nothing stopped the first exposure.

So I resorted to using the built in one and doing 30 second shots with a 34 second interval but that's not really ideal.  Unfortunately if you don't give the R5 a longer gap after the shot it won't time everything right apparently so 30 second shots with 31 second intervals on the built in doesn't work.  Which the same has been reported all over online - no idea why the camera can't take that next shot reliably a second later.

spurscar
Contributor

Well, I've went ahead and purchased another and a different brand.  Once it arrives I'll update this post if it was just a faulty intervalometer and nothing more.

spurscar
Contributor

Just wanted to update this post that the first intervalometer must have either been faulty or isn't compatible with the R5 like it says it is on Amazon.

However, this intervalometer worked exactly as it should for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR86TMN/

Announcements