cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 and external intervalometer issue

spurscar
Contributor

So I've used external intervalometers for years with my T series and 70D bodies but having an issue with the R5.  The external intervalometer works the same as previous ones but just with a different end.  I can set up a run fine, like 4 second shots with a 5 second interval and the external intervalometer seems happy with everything and goes about it's program when I click Start.

The problem is the first exposure opens the shutter but after the 4 seconds isn't ending the exposure and closing the shutter.  The intervalometer goes along it's program unaware the camera never ended that first shot.

Best I'm finding on forums and such in searches is that MAYBE I have a bad (brand new) intervalometer.  Suppose that could be it but wanted to ask if anyone else has run into this behavior before.  TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

spurscar
Contributor

Just wanted to update this post that the first intervalometer must have either been faulty or isn't compatible with the R5 like it says it is on Amazon.

However, this intervalometer worked exactly as it should for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR86TMN/

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Is there a particular reason you did not use the built-in Interval Timer feature of the R5, as shown on P244 of the manual?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

spurscar
Contributor

I should have included that in my original post.  I know the R5 has a (bad) built in intervalometer.  Pretty embarrassing that the camera can shoot 12 or 20 fps but needs 3-4 seconds between interval shots or it gets confused.  A 3-4 second gap is pretty bad for star trails and shouldn't be necessary so that's why I bought an external one that says it is compatible with the R5 specifically.

The R5 intervalometer can shoot at 1 sec intervals. Be sure you are using the most current firmware. 

Yeah, it seems like they have apparently fixed it.  Was an issue when I first got the R5 and I'd read a ton of posts saying the same thing but I just ran a test with 10 second manual exposures with an 11 second interval and it didn't get off-count at all.  Nice to see that's a viable option now!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Your camera is set to Bulb?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah and all NR and nanny stuff set to Off as well.  One Shot AF and Single, no burst shooting.

And manual focus?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, prefocus to infinity in AF then switch to MF.

That’s exactly how I do it with my 1D X III (except 12 secs vs 4) and 1 sec between. May be a problem with intervalometer. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements