cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

droonfang
Enthusiast

I did the same things mentioned previously and it worked. But if you turn it off, you have to do it again. So far, every function seems to be working, including installing new ink (ouch, but ordered a new printer and takes the same, hope IT works!) and realigning.

Have printed several documents, so it seems if you leave it on after this fix, it might continue to work. Yes, not supposed to leave it on, but at least I have a printer for now.

Unplug printer, unplug router, press printer power button 10 times, plug printer back in, plug router back in. First doc printed will cause printer to "recycle" a bit, then it will print. Might get a warning that "you unplugged to printer or lost power incorrectly". Ignore it. You did nothing, the printer just lost its mind.

Thank you Imk53 and I hope you see this WILL continue to work if you leave the thing on. Many docs/pages so far!

bags
Apprentice

What is happening??! Is this some push to get people registered to this website? I can't go turning off my wifi every 10 minutes to make this stupid printer work. CANON FIX THIS.

If you leave the thing on after the fix, it will keep working. At least it has for me. Did a new cartridge and alignment. Did a firmware update that did NOT fix it, but screwed it up again. Went thru fix process and it works again. The 1st doc you print AFTER the fix, it will whine and "adjust" or whatever, THEN it will print. And then no more BS. It just works now.

yangym
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 Keeps on and off cycling (rebooting?)
I have used my scanner/printer (MX490) so far without any problems. Thanks!
But last night I had the power on and off continually.

If I turn off the Wifi, it works with power on and off but when I turn Wifi on, again repeating.
I call Canon US and Canon service associate, David (cae #: 3010212204) told me 2 resolutions.
1. Turn off the Wifi
2. Connect USB cable directly, it works but I need the Wifi

Practically, I need my scanner and printer (MX490 from Walmart) for my home and small business.

bossfan55
Apprentice

Just created an account to post this - same problem.  I noticed it on Monday, but was able to print something wirelessly.  Tuesday morning it just kept cycling so I unplugged it.  Plugged it back today and it keeps re-cycling, but now I can't print from it.  I'm in Maryland on Fios.  

You have to do the fix then LEAVE IT ON. Unplug printer when it cycles off, unplug modem, press printer power button 10 times, plug in printer, plug in modem.

If you leave the thing on after the fix, it will keep working. At least it has for me. Did a new cartridge and alignment. Did a firmware update that did NOT fix it, but screwed it up again. Went thru fix process and it works again. The 1st doc you print AFTER the fix, it will whine and "adjust" or whatever, THEN it will print. And then no more BS. It just works now.

ddo204
Apprentice

My Canon printer is doing the same thing. Seems to be happening to everyone. Obviously Canon has sent out a bad update. If this is not fixed I will never purchase a Canon printer again.

You have to do the fix then LEAVE IT ON. Unplug printer when it cycles off, unplug modem, press printer power button 10 times, plug in printer, plug in modem. Have done several fixes because of turning it off, or doing an update, but the fix always works...so far.

yangym
Contributor

I guess the power cycle problem is related to Canon firmware upgrading last night. Hence, if possible, I would like to downgrad MX490 to test if the power cycling problem is solved or not. Endless power on and off. Thanks

Yuval
Contributor
Announcements