cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

BostonCowboy62
Apprentice

Wow! I'm not a big Canon fan to begin with. This is happening to my Aunt's printer, she is 82! I am helping her but I am also an IT pro with certs and everything! This customer service where everything takes hours just to talk to someone, they don't call back as promised, ignoring something they obviously caused thinking it will just go away, not answering the 37 people who are on this forum with the EXACT SAME ISSUE STARTING ON THE SAME DAY is a low too much for me to ignore.

It is companies like this, and people like, Arthur J, who continue to give IT Tech Support a bad name and I really do not appreciate it AT ALL! Arthur, you have commented twice and said the exact same thing TWICE. You are totally ignoring the people who have done what you said! Do you get points for providing this useless info somehow?

Kick it up the ladder or this page will figure prominently in my small claims lawsuit.

I think the people like Arthur J aren't even people at all.  Given how most companies have a very similar reply and in almost the same wording every time, usually to give them a call, to me means that they are just auto replies.  If you do end up with a small claims lawsuit, post here about it because that will give a precedence for other lawsuits as well.

You are probably right. Arthur is probably an AI responder. Same old stuff. Probably nobody from Canon who can fix this problem is looking at these posts. Maybe time to drive the phone support people crazy?

I found a temporary solution. I blocked my printer from internet via my router and it fixed the power cycling. I connected the printer via USB to my computer. It sucks because you can't use the wifi connection. I tried looking for a cold reset to get it back to factory but I can't find instructions.

Check out Italioma's response above.  I haven't tried it yet because the user still needs internet access for work.  It has to do with a DNS error.  Once fixed though, it seems like the wifi stuff works again.  I'm not sure cloud printing will though, but I never bothered with that anyway.

The internal network (Wi-Fi) will work again, but cloud services will stop working (eg Google Cloud) because of DNS disabled.

That's funny, I changed the IP address of my printer to a made up one and it prints from both my laptop (wifi) and desktop. If you need a valid IP for another reason, see below:

This problem that you are experiencing is because of DNS. I solved my problem by turning off the Access Point (or unplugging the internet cable from the router's WAN port). The printer will turn on normally. Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration.

labrooks
Apprentice

I am having the same issue worked great last night... and now nothing...I need mine for school... This is horrible... I have tried everything, and I just replaced my ink 😞 

I just replaced all my ink too. Now my printer is a brick? Class action lawsuit coming up.

I also just replaced my ink and was getting ready to order back ups.  Nope, not doing that now!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements