cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

dougjstevens
Apprentice

REALLY Spooky. Turned off my wireless network and BOOM it starts up... These things are basically bricked unless we can push a firmware fix to them. The support page for it only has drivers from 2021, but just seem like Windows Drivers, and nothing to do with device firmware. I think these are officially bricked.. Cannon should issue ALL OF US new printers unless they can fix them.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

ck1021
Apprentice

MX490, same problem.  It can't be all of us, but it's infuriating that Canon has not responded with a valid solution.

jperez739
Contributor

If everyone here is having the same issue with your printer, block you printer from internet access then you will be able to access the display menu and reset the printer and use the printer via a USB connection. If you hook it back up to the wifi, it will start to power cycle again.

Fine. But this printer is supposed to function as a network printer. Some businesses use it and now can't print. Typical corporate answers to this problem, which was caused by Canon. I will NEVER buy another Canon product!

That's not really helpful if you can't disable the internet.  The printer buttons are not responding at all.

How do we block it from internet access 

KrinePurple
Apprentice

Italolima has the solution. Search for his reply. It's all about DNS.

95% of people who buy this printer have NO tech skills. So that SOLUTION is not applicable. It is Canon's problem to solve, not the users.

Clobbersaurus
Apprentice

Same exact issue started today on my MX490.  Constant power on shut off loop with only the Canon logo being displayed.  Please fix this I need to print assignments for school!!!

I changed the IP address of my printer to a made up one and it prints from both my laptop (wifi) and desktop. If you need a valid IP for another reason, see below:

This problem that you are experiencing is because of DNS. I solved my problem by turning off the Access Point (or unplugging the internet cable from the router's WAN port). The printer will turn on normally. Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration.

Announcements