cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preview not opening R6 mark ii CR3 RAW files in macOS

GalaxyCanon
Apprentice

Hello,

I am not able to open CR3 files using the Preview in Mac OS. The pictures were taken by my Canon R6 mark ii. I get the error message that 

"The file “MyFile.CR3” could not be opened. Preview currently does not support this raw file format"

I have macOS 13.1 Ventura, but previously I was using 12.6 Monterey and got the same message. It looks like the mark ii is not a supported camera by apple, but I'm not sure how that impacts the ability to open CR3 files.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213267

Is anyone else having the same issue?

thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It can take a while for the OS to be updated for a new camera. You can download the free canon DPP4 from the canon support site; it will open your files.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 151432.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John.  I was hoping to be able to view the photos within Finder in order to, for example, quickly figure out which photos I can delete off of my memory card. I already use Lightroom for managing and editing my photos, so I can use it for the same purpose, but it requires more clicks. Sounds like I will have to wait for macOS to support the R6m2

I would like to view my images in BRIDGE.  This is the system I use and my workflow  did you find a way to make this work?

will this allow them to be used in bridge too?

GalaxyCanon
Apprentice

It looks like Preview is now opening the CR3 files. I am not sure what changed, but it's possible that I installed an update that enabled Preview to do so. 

Hey there! I have the r6ii as well. I edit on my iPad. I originally couldn’t preview the files then out of nowhere it worked for months. Then last week it won’t alllw me to preview them again! 😩 any advice!? Thanks!!

Try force rebooting the iPad. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210631

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements