cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

@gvl wrote:

Unfortunately this did not work for M1 .... I did uninstall and reinstall also 😞

Anyone got EOS Utility 3.16.1 to work with M1

Not a direct answer, but it does work with a Ventura M2 MacBook Air.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

gvl
Contributor

Here is my update on some related activities I did to check if there is something in my wireless network that does not work related to my M1 and R7

a) I downloaded Canon CCAPI from their developer's site. The activation tool does not work on an Mac M1 running 13.x macOS 😞 So there is a bug in that program as it is not portable for that version. I then used a very old Mac with 11.3 (Big Sur) and was able to activate CCAPI on the camera. This adds an additional menu item to the wireless setting so you can can check you camera via HTTP requests. Make sure to not switch off the camera or disconnect it when the activation is running, wait till it is done or tells you that it can not find the camera and you need to just cancel. only then disconnect. However if the OS works it will do the activation, I think it takes less than 10 seconds. Wait. Make sure it comes back with the completed msg.

b) Now you can go to wireless settings and in the Camera control settings add your network, or make the camera the access point. I added my network, so I can access the camera from all devices including Mac, Linux, Raspberry PI

c) the use a device you have on the same network and you can look at the ccapi for example with 

http://<YOURINTERNALNETWORKIP>:8080/ccapi

The IP number will be printed on the camera monitor

And everything seems to be working, I can communicate with  the camera. I am now thinking about writing a couple of python programs so I can do the interface just through ccapi 

This also confirms that canon has not yet updated several programs to ventura. 

I think the best thing for canon would be to just enable ccapi by default and have us all hack the camera in python 😉

Update: I have written a python library and can now control the camera via

a) a GUI prototype that I wrote

b) jupyter notebooks so you can create workflows.

The library in pythin is super simple and has things such as `camera.av=8.0`. And so on ... including shoot a photo. This way you can completely control the camera. To see the library or the manual for it, visit me on 

github.com/laszewsk/canon-r7-ccapi/blob/main/README.md 

gvl
Contributor

check out https://github.com/laszewsk/canon-r7-ccapi/blob/main/README.md 

works well for me ... as I custom-designed this for my needs 😉

If anyone wants to participate in further developing this, let me know.

ianzakharov
Contributor

It’s a shame Canon couldn’t fix it. Beta Ventura was available pretty long before public release. I don’t believe they had no chance to check things out

It is a shame that Apple could not provide better release notes to non-Apple developers. It is a shame that Apple changed the USB security after the beta and just before release of the new operating system version. It is a shame that Apple omitted the end-user menus for fixing the USB security problems from machines with Intel CPUs. It is a shame that Apple broke software from multiple vendors including Canon.

If Apple changes the API without publishing information about the changes, the the fault is at Apple and not with all of the other software from multiple vendors that Apple broke. (macOS is still better than Windows)

I hope Apple will do better next time.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

I don’t mind it’s Apple fault too. But hey, didn’t Canon know about this issue? Couldn’t they solve it together with Apple instead of making customers reset NVRAM and installing different versions of EOS Utility from different international sites. Other USB-C devices work well.

I expect that the Apple problem is this item in the release notes: ( https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-13-release-notes ) and so far as I can remember, this was added just before Ventura was released and was not in the beta version. The menu mentioned does not exist on a mac with an Intel chip and those permissions only seem to be set when software is newly installed if it is on an Intel mac and so software must be completely deleted and installed again from a new copy. If a USB C device does not require those permissions or if it were attached and working during the update to Ventura it seems to me likely that it continued to work. Do the other USB C devices that continued to work control negotiation of the USB during connection? It appears to me that Apple only tested this on portable Apple silicon and not on other supported hardware. Do you know otherwise? I am happy to learn something new.

Accessory Security

New Features

• On portable Mac computers with Apple silicon, new USB and Thunderbolt accessories require user approval before the accessory can communicate with macOS for connections wired directly to the USB-C port. This doesn’t apply to power adapters, standalone displays, or connections to an approved hub. Devices can still charge if you choose Don’t Allow.

You can change the security configuration in System Settings > Security and Privacy > Security. The initial configuration is Ask for new accessories. Configuring an accessibility Switch Control sets the policy to always allow accessory use. Approved devices can connect to a locked Mac for up to three days.

Accessories attached during software update from prior versions of macOS are allowed automatically. New accessories attached prior to rebooting the Mac might enumerate and function, but won’t be remembered until connected to an unlocked Mac and explicitly approved. (43338666)

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Looks like we have at least three issues

a) USB cable not working

b) Webcam not working

c) EOS Utility not working with Wifi on M1

gvl
Contributor

I have confirmed that the USB cable does work on Apples M1. I have not tried the Webcam app. However, I still have the EOS Utility not working issue. I bypass this with a cheap firetablet on which I installed google play and the canon eos utility. You can buy the fire tablet for about $40. I also verified that you can use an iPhone. Others with an M2 reported the EOS utility works. When switching between Laptop and android/iphone make sure you go to the appropriate menu wen you use USB and switch in the laptop or tab;et/i[hone mode on the camera.

Yeah, thank you for sharing. I think I have read it (seems from post over DPreview). I don’t get why EOS Utility 3.16 solved this problem for my intel chip but didn’t help with M1 (from what I know). And I don’t get why 3.16 was available only on Canon Japan site. No warnings, no letters, nothing from Canon to let us know update could cause some issues. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements