cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility v3.17 Won't Work With EOS R3 & EOS R5

Canonoli
Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me why Canon utility will not work after spending over twelve thousand dollars on a Eos R3 and a Eos R5, you can even make software that works to download your images. I do have a few card readers, but that's not the point. I should be able to plug in either camera and use the software to download images or use the other features of the utility, but no matter what version I have uninstalled and reinstalled will work in Windows 11. And it seems like Windows 11 might be a big deal, even though it's been out a very long time. Such a disappointment, as no one seems to be able to get this software to work properly.

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled in the camera, or it won't work with the cable.

You don't need any additional software to download your images to your computer. Just use a USB data cable and look in File Explorer for your camera memory card folder. 

Thanks, Bob,
I am not new to the party, and have been shooting with Canon gear for 40 years +
The eos utililty is useless imo. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it many tiimes. And this is the latest version installed for the R3. Sad, you need to shut off the camera and turn it on a dozen times and maybe it will connect to the main menu. I think windows 11 and Canon don't get along. It seems that they were very slow even with printers to get things right in win 11. 😞 Sad when I have spent so much on a R3 and R5 that simple software does not work.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Help someone to help.  Please describe what “will not work” means.  Are you getting an error message?  What steps and actions can we take to reproduce your issue?

Are you connecting to the camera using the supplied USB cable?  Do not use any port adapters or expanders with the USB cable.  Are you using a computer with an Intel Chipset?   

Was the Windows 11 Operating System a native install out of the box, or is it an upgrade from Windows 10?  Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wow, describe "will not work"
Will not work. means that the utility will not launch into the main menu that allows you to download images. Instead 98% of the time it launchs into the paiing menu. I don't use wifi or blue tooth and have them both diabled in both the R5 and R3, hope that is a clear discription of "not working" as intended when plugged into a USB connection on Windows 11 pro pc.

@Canonoli wrote:

wow, describe "will not work"
Will not work. means that the utility will not launch into the main menu that allows you to download images. Instead 98% of the time it launchs into the paiing menu. I don't use wifi or blue tooth and have them both diabled in both the R5 and R3, hope that is a clear discription of "not working" as intended when plugged into a USB connection on Windows 11 pro pc.

Are you say that you start EOSU3 (not EOSU) and get this screen on your display:

Screenshot 2023-08-15 090147.jpg

And then, when you switch on your camera instead of a screen similar to this:

Screenshot 2023-08-15 090244.jpg

the WiFi pairing screen starts up?

Are you using the Canon cable that came with the camera or a USB-C data type cable?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

On some platforms, the EOS Utility defaults to wireless communication, instead of USB.  One needs to close that EOS Wireless Connection setup.  Go into the C:/Programs folder and manually start the EOS Utility 3 while your camera is connected to the USB port.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Done that, it still does not open. When connected to usb, it normally launches the Wi-fi setup.
I have blue tooth and wi-fi disabled on both cameras.

Some, how about both camera which are new camera. So you must be talking about DSLR platform and Mirrorless platforms? Two camera, and neither work correctly in Window 11.

Check my latest posts with images above.

alexis194
Contributor

i have the same issued, its connect to the pc but no eos utility, i tried many things

click here to view the gallery
Announcements