cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mark II Firmware only shows as a .dmg file

Skip70
Enthusiast

I've downloaded the firmware but it only shows on my Mac as a .dmg file. When I click on it, it does not open further. Is this whole .dmg file what I drag to my card? 

Thanks. I obviously don't want to screw this up!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I downloaded the file when you said you were having problems earlier.

This is my system:
M1 Mac Mini 8GB RAM macOS Sonoma 14 BetaM1 Mac Mini 8GB RAM macOS Sonoma 14 Beta

Again, when you download the DMG, it will go into your Downloads folder:

Image 8-29-23 at 9.27 AM.jpg

 Double-click it, and it will mount (it will just look like it flashes). It will then be either in Finder - on the left Nav Bar under Locations:

Image 8-29-23 at 9.33 AM.jpg

 OR on your Desktop:

Image 8-29-23 at 9.28 AM.jpg

 Once you've located the icon for the Disk Image, double click it and open it. You'll see the .FIR file, and a folder with PDF instructions:

Image 8-29-23 at 9.29 AM.jpg

Simply drag the .FIR file onto your SD card (in a card reader is the easiest way), and you're good to go!

I hope this helps, but if you need one-on-one assistance, don't hesitate to contact phone support at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). They'll be happy to walk you through it! 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Skip70!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using and which firmware version you're trying to install. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sorry.

6D Mark II. I went on firmware site and 1.2.0 is what came up. I assume that is the latest.   

A "dmg" is a Disk iMaGe.  When you double-click it, it should reveal an item on your desktop within Finder.  If not, when in Finder, access the Finder menu, then select Settings (Note: may be Preferences on older operating systems).

When the Finder Settings/Preferences window displays, select the "General" icon, and ensure you have the following items checked:

[X] Hard disks

[X] External disks

[X] CDs, DVDs, and iPods

When you find the item on your desktop, it should contain the instructions along with the firmware file.   Typically, you need to copy just the firmware file itself to an SD card.   But review the instructions for exact details.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes, those were all checked, still does not open. Next call: Mac Support!

If you've double-clicked on the .dmg and are still not seeing anything, launch the Disk Utility application.   I can be found in the Utilities folder within your Applications folder.  Or, type in Command-Space and type in Disk Utility followed by Return/Enter to launch it.

In the Disk Utility window, it should list all the disks currently connected to your Mac.   You can also use the File menu, then Open Disk Image... option within Disk Utility to open a disk image.

--
Ricky

Thanks again for the detailed alternate.  Still does not open, so on phone with Apple now. I've never had problems in the past opening .dmg files. 

Do you have any other .dmg files you can try?  Perhaps the one you've downloaded is incomplete or has become corrupted.  Though that should have generated an error message within Disk Utility.

--
Ricky

(Not tech support, but I am 100% Apple) - the DMG needs to be on your Mac - either in your Downloads Folder, or on your Desktop - not on the SD card. Double click the DMG file, and it will Mount (it only looks like it flashes - but nothing "happens"). From there - on your DESKTOP, you'll see a drive icon that says "eos6d2 [something" - double click that. You'll see the .FIR file, and a folder with 5 PDF files - one is English (en). 

Drag the .FIR file to the ROOT of your SD card (not in any folder - just drop it into the card)

Let me know if you need screenshots! 😊

Yes, of course, I'm on the Mac. It does not open. Other dmg files do open, just not this one. 

Announcements