cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

Well, there are no good options actually. Wi-Fi is deadly slow for R5 files and drains batteries so bad. It’s not reliable also. As for me, I can’t purchase CF-express card reader easily here. So yeah, it’s a problem, unfortunately.

I am happy 3.16 helped me, but seems it doesn’t help with M1.

3.16.1 works with Ventura and M2. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

not on mine, even tried relaxing security..

still nothing

R5, 6Dmkii, 5dmarkiv, and others

TediM50M2
Apprentice

Hi,

I've the same issues of EU not connecting my M50 mk2 when I upgraded my Mac mini 2020 to Ventura. Although it does connect using the WiFi method but as others mentioned it is slow. Until Canon updates their software, my current workaround is to use Apple's Mac app: Image Capture. It recognizes my M50 camera when I plug in using USB and I'm able to download (and delete) my files. It also maintains all the Exif meta data so when I open the files with DPP, all the information is there. Hope this helps for now.

This is related to the webcam utility that Canon offers for free. I wish they were ready to go day one for Ventura, but I suspect it is a low priority. 

Image capture does not solve the critical scenario to use the camera for video-conferencing. We are now working with an iPhone: Ventura allows to connect to an iPhone and use it as a webcam. Obviously that is a poor alternative - basically Canon has just killed itself. 

Do you know any alternatives for connecting as a webcam that really work (and Wifi does not work properly)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This is nothing new.  It happens every time Apple releases a new OS.  Camera's stop connecting, printer's stop printing, and webcams stop running.  We all know this.  It happens over and over.  A conservative approach might be to test or wait.

Software development.  "Canon should have had this working on day 1".  Maybe they did, maybe Apple added a feature or changed something that broke the WebCam Utility?  We don't know, so its unfair to blame a vendor who doesn't control what Apple releases.     

It's ok to be an early adopter, but you need to accept that some stuff may not work or that some software and/or devices might have issues.  No vendor can test every software and hardware scenario prior to a operating system's release.  With this in mind, I do not recommend upgrading a software environment on a mission critical or production system (one you depend on for income or work) until you've had a chance to test or ensure all of the hardware and software applications you depend on function properly.  You can take steps to avoid these situations.  A great way to mitigate this risk is by making a time machine back up of your working environment so you can revert back (just in case) things don't go as planned.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

“Software development.  "Canon should have had this working on day 1".  Maybe they did, maybe Apple added a feature or changed something that broke the WebCam Utility?  We don't know, so its unfair to blame a vendor who doesn't control what Apple releases.”

I agree.  Every camera vendor is probably riding the same merry-go-round.  A new OS more than likely means negotiating a new licensing agreement for the new OS.  That is the Apple business model.  

Furthermore, it should be obvious that it is NOT in Apple’s best interests for third party camera software to work properly.  Apple would prefer that you purchased your next camera from Apple, not Canon, Sony, or Nikon.  Apple would prefer that you kick third party gear to the curb entirely.

For the record, this is at least the 4th time that Apple has broken their own codebase in the past 12 months or so alone.  Any software developer would tell you that breaking your existing codebase is a major no-no, a cardinal sin.  Apple does it all the time to manufacturer’s of third party cameras.  All the time.

[EDIT]. What good is a software development package release 6-12 months ago when there have 3-4 major updates since the release of that version of the development package?  

Every time Apple releases an OS upgrade, third party manufacturers have BUY the upgraded software development package from Apple.  I have no idea how much an Enterprise level license from Apple would cost, but I am sure that it would be on the order of tens of thousands of dollars per seat/developer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Both Android File Transfer and Canon EOS Utility 3 were broken by the update to Ventura. Resetting NVRAM fixed Android File Transfer, but not EOS Utility 3.

I have the free Apple Developer login and development tools, but do not pay to have any software on the App Store.

Apple needs to work on their software testing and release. This is just poor software engineering.

How is it Apple's problem?  Apple provides ample developer previews along with public betas of the OS each year.  It's up to Canon and actual software vendors to test ahead of time.

And to file bugs with Apple for those cases where bugs were introduced by Apple.

There are basically two types of companies out there regarding software: proactive and reactive.  Hopefully Canon will become proactive in the future.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements