cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

SteveStone
Contributor

My issue is with the R7, before the upgrade it would connect to the iMac Monterey via USB cable, as well as wifi. After the upgrade to Ventura the EOS Utility doesn't launch automatically, manual start displays the connect via WiFi, no option to select USB. Speed of Wifi connection is so slow, that makes it practically unusable.

same here. Without the USB cable connection, it practically does not work. Beyond, the connection is unstable.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There are so many other options for transferring photos from your camera.  Ventura has been available for 3 days.  Canon is NOT the only vendor who hasn't released updated software for a new OS.  I'm sure updated software and applications are coming.  Please be patient.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The OP is referring to the EOS Webcam Utility. While I wish Canon was ready to go for this day one I have a feeling that this free utility is low-ish priority for them. It makes it really nice and easy to setup a professional camera to use with a lot of video services with no extra hardware. 

Yes.  Unfortunately, the threads title didn't say that.

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am well aware of other methods to transfer photos. But this is NOT my point. 

There is - to my knowledge - so single good alternative to use the camera as a video-conferencing camera. 

Since this is the tool I rely on in my daily work, the camera is now pretty much useless for this core scenario. We are now working with an iPhone. 

Do you know any alternatives for connecting as a webcam that really work (and Wifi does not work properly)

Indeed Ventura is only there for 3 days. But developers have had access to Ventura for at least 6 months. There is no excuse for that. The hardware is now unusable in a critical scenario that it is advertised for. 

To be fair, Apple is known to screw people up regularly. Audio people also have to deal with their incompetence.

The EOS 3 utility does more than transfer photos. It can also set the date/time on the camera from the computer date time and change various camera settings. It is a pain for it not to be working. It appears to me to be a permission problem with the USB port. Plugging the USB cable into the camera disables all of the menus on the camera and does charge only.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
Announcements