cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

It is an Apple problem because when I contacted Apple support I was told to reset NVRAM. Resetting NVRAM fixed Android File transfer and enabled the image capture app to talk to my camera. That should have been done during the upgrade if necessary. The last time I produced such a bug in released software was 1985.

Apple broke applications with their update.

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

EOS Utility 3 no longer works with EOS R5 camera after upgrade to macOS Ventura. The USB C cable is configured to charge only and not data.

The Android file transfer app also cannot access the USB C port.

NVRAM reset fixed Android File Transfer but not EOS Utility 3. Image Capture app does see the camera when the USB cable is connected.

Missing functionality for me is ability to use EOS Utility 3 to change Date/time in camera and update IPTC info in camera.

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

After resetting NVRAM on my iMac, deleting EOS Utility3, downloading and installing EOS Utility 3 for macOS 11, now it works again. I hope this might be helpful for someone else.

You specifically installed the version for macOS Big Sur 11? And it works to continue using your Canon camera as your webcam for Zoom on Ventura? 

I try to avoid zoom or any video conferencing since I have retired. So, I have not tried a web cam but only my phone and my camera which both had similar symptoms and were fixed by the same actions.

Specifically, I downloaded the EOS Utility 3 from the Canon support page for my camera. I had to select macOS 11 as the operating system version instead of using the auto detect menu item. Before downloading and re-installing, I completely deleted the apps. I speculate that this might be necessary because some of the app permissions are set during installation. I also deleted and downloaded the Android File Transfer app to fix communication with my phone.

The following is what I posted elsewhere about what I learned from Apple support and the release notes for macOS 13 Ventura. I expect that the problem is a new security feature/bug for USB. If you have security menus for apps and for USB, then you might be able to fix it there without reinstalling. I do not know enough about macOS to know exactly where this information is stored or whether it is easy to modify using the vi editor.

I hope my experience might be helpful to others.

It seems to me that some new USB security added by Apple broke several things. I had trouble with Canon EOS Utility 3 and with Android File Transfer. What fixed it for me was to reset NVRAM, delete both apps, download and reinstall both apps. I have included links to two reset procedures from Apple support. Which procedure to use depends upon which hardware you might have.

Procedure to reset NVRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Procedure to reset SMC on mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

This is my best guess for the origin of the Apple bug (release notes mention a USB section under security preferences, but that is not present on my computer):
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-13-release-notes USB security menu only appears with Apple silicon

Blueberry_Lover
Enthusiast

Ventura has a continuity camera feature which allows an iPhone to be used as a webcam (click here for more information).

- Pie Lover

VicTucker
Apprentice

The incompatibility issue also includes Print Studio Pro so professional level printing is no longer available on Pixma Pro printers as the Canon app will only work as a plug in rather than a standalone application.

Hopefully Canon will update their software/downlosds shortly but from previous experience - this is likely to require

endless trials as there does not seem to be a notification procedure from Canon to advise users when their applications are updated - rather just repeated trial and error in the hope that eventually the issue will be fixed?

tekamah
Apprentice

My use is to run my R5 remotely with EOS utility to copy negatives. Without the EOS utility connecting I'm dead in the water. Utility offers a wife option but that's not a functional solution. Can Canon let us know when an update is planned?

tekamah
Apprentice

Did you see that Canon updated Utilities software on Nov. 8? It's tricky to find because you have to select OS12 on the pull down menu when you reach the utilities page. https://www.usa.canon.com/support/eos-utilities

click here to view the gallery
Announcements