cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try (with my R5).

- Pie Lover

ianzakharov
Contributor

This problem really exists. My R5 doesn’t work work with Macbook Pro 2019. I have written to Apple support but don’t get any clear response yet. Let’s write to Canon to let them know about an issue.

Solved: Mac OS 13.0.1 update did not help but EOS Utility 3.16.1 did the job done. https://canon.jp/support/software/os/select/dc/EU-Installset-M31613dmg?pr=5039&os=160

This download fixed the issue on my iMac, running Ventura 13.0.1, enables the r7 camera to communicate over usb cable.

Its odd that Canon hasnt rolled out this version of the EU-Installset dmg to all sites.... doesnt show on the UK version of Canon site

Brilliant! Thanks so much. I'll tell canon as they just wrote to me to tell me to do all the things I've already tried! Useless lot

!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This thread has splintered with 1/2 of the posters discussing the EOS Utility not working with Ventura and the other half discussing the WebCam Utility under Ventura.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

gvl
Contributor

(A) I must use MacOS Ventura, latest version
(B) I have the R7 with latest firmware

I tried different versions, clear out NVRAM, but was not able to get Canon EOS Utility to work

I installed the version distributed for macOS v 12, and 11. I connected via Wifi directly to the camera, I also connected through a dedicated wifi network. I can see the camera, but all utilities in the Canone EOS Utility 3 are not enabled and can not be clicked on. I enabled access via the setup in osx. Anyone having more luck than I have?

I tried the EOS Utility camera also on an Firetablet while using google play install, that works

I tried the EOS Utility also on an iPhone and that also works.

When you go to Canon support download page, there is unfortunately no version that works for Ventura

EOS utility 3 works for me. I have an iMac with Intel CPU. I have Ventura 13.0.1

It is different for someone with M1 chip.

I have EOS Utility 3.16.1.3

I not only had to clear NVRAM, but also had to drag the EOS Utility folder to the trash, download a new copy for macOS 12, and install it again. I only tried connecting EOS Utility 3 to the camera using USB and did not try WiFi.

It seems to me to be a problem with some new USB security thing and it also broke Android File Transfer for me. There may be a security permissions thing for WiFi also, but I did not look for this.

I hope some of this might be helpful.

I have an EOS R5 with Ventura 13.0.1 installed on a Mac mini (2018). I downloaded the macOS 12 version of EOS Utility 3 from the Canon (USA) website. I also removed the EOS Utility (launcher) from the login items (automatically run at login) and quit the utility if running.

My camera is connected via a (Canon supplied) USB-C cable directly connected to a USB-C port on the Mac mini. I manually launch EOS Utility 3 and turn on the camera. If the EOS Utility 3 doesn't connect immediately, I disconnect and reconnect the USB-C cable which usually resolves the issue.

Hope this helps.

- Pie Lover

gvl
Contributor

As it seems at this time not possible to connect via the USB cable, nor Wifi, here is my temporary workaround while not using the M1 directly:

a) i configured an 8 inch firetablet so it can download and install from google playstore. Thus it looks like a normal android. I installed EOS utility in there. The firetablet I have can be bought for <$50 as on sale right now. 

b) I use the camera as wifi access point and connect to the tables. I can now control the camera via the tablet.

c) Although I could download the images to the tablet, this is not realy where I want them so I plug the SDCard into my M1 mac and download from there.

Its realy a shame that this all does not work and either better documentation is provided to prove us all wrong and we can make it work, or that a new version be developed and released by cannon that is uploaded under Ventura in the cannon support Web site.

Having said this I like quite my new setup and I have now a dedicated tablet just for the camera. I do not use it for other purposes. Thus its easy to connect. However, if you are not familiar with how to add google play to the tablet, get a cheap regular android tablet.

gvl
Contributor

Unfortunately this did not work for M1 .... I did uninstall and reinstall also 😞

Anyone got EOS Utility 3.16.1 to work with M1

Announcements