cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth Compositing using DPP4 - tool won't recognize selected images

Sazanka
Apprentice

I have used the focus bracketing feature on my EOS M6 Mark ii with 18-150 mm lens to generate a "stack" of 45 jpeg images of the same subject.  I have downloaded these images from my camera into DPP4.  The images look good and the focus stacking seems right when I preview them. According to the DPP4 manual, my camera and lens are supported for the depth compositing function.

First I "select" these images - by clicking on the first one, then holding down the shift key and clicking on the last one, so all the images are highlighted.  

Then I use the Tools drop down menu to select the Depth Compositing Tool.  When I select the DC tool, I receive an error message telling me that I haven't selected any images. Repeated tries at this process have yielded the same result.

Is there something else I have to do to "select" these images so the DC tool will recognize them?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's just the first shot that is causing the error (all shots must have the same parameters). Remove that one and your stack will process. Not sure what caused that, maybe a test shot somehow was included in the folder? At least, I was able to process what you had posted after removing IMG_1791. You might want to open "View" and run through the rest.

*EDIT* Note that Focus bracketing is not enabled in IMG_1791.

Good luck,

Newton

Stack EXIF-Forum 5a.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps 45 is too many for the software?

Maybe try a smaller number and seee what happens?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

John is probably correct.  The app is probably choking on so many images.  Try doing them in smaller batches, and then later combining the output files into a single image.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've processed 90+ shots in a stack, so DPP doesn't have any problems with large stacks. I think the message is indicating that the files are unsuitable or incompatible. What size JPG's are you using?

*EDIT* I just selected incompatible files, and it through up a message stating that, so that was a bad assumption*

As for the selection process, it's pretty straight forward. I just click the folder my shots are in and the main window gets populated with the first image selected by default, I then just press CTRL A to select all the images, then use the pulldown to start the DC tool. I've used both Raw and JPG.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks to all responders for their suggestions.  My files are about 7 MB each - 6960 x 4670 pixels.  I did try just using one, two, or three images to see if that would help; I get the same error message.  As stated by FloridaDrafter, 48 images is well within the capabilities of the software.  Selecting and highlighting the images in the usual manner works; but the DC tool - at least my version of it - simply won't recognize that the images have been selected.  I tried the same process using the Compositing tool and then the HDR compositing tool instead of the Depth Compositing tool -- both of those tools recognize the images that I have selected.   

At this point I am beginning to suspect a software glitch.  Has anyone ever had to uninstall and reinstall the DPP software to solve a problem?  I am up to date on software versions.

This may not be your probiem, but I had a problem once with DPP not recognizing the Cloud processing tool.

I am on a Windows 10 PC.

I ran a registry check tool from the free Ccleaner app and that resolved my problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@Sazanka wrote:

Thanks to all responders for their suggestions.  My files are about 7 MB each - 6960 x 4670 pixels.  I did try just using one, two, or three images to see if that would help; I get the same error message.  As stated by FloridaDrafter, 48 images is well within the capabilities of the software.  Selecting and highlighting the images in the usual manner works; but the DC tool - at least my version of it - simply won't recognize that the images have been selected.  I tried the same process using the Compositing tool and then the HDR compositing tool instead of the Depth Compositing tool -- both of those tools recognize the images that I have selected.   

At this point I am beginning to suspect a software glitch.  Has anyone ever had to uninstall and reinstall the DPP software to solve a problem?  I am up to date on software versions.

That's very strange and yes, I have read on this forum of people solving problems with DPP by uninstalling and reinstalling, but by using a third party uninstaller that does a better job at cleaning up stray files (John beat me to it, LOL).

If you have sharable on-line storage and feel like doing it, put 5 or 6 files up and post the URL. I will be happy to see if I can get them to load. Just be sure to leave all EXIF data intact (I know, but I had to mention it:))

Newton

Thanks for the offer to check this out.  Here is the link:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i3XBuLbEXp95bm9iHTalI5LiUJ1nP2F4?usp=sharing

A couple of things:  I am fairly new to Google Drive so not sure how much of the metadata is going to be available. I  didn't actively remove any data, but  I can't seem to get it to display inside of the Google Drive album.  Hopefully it is still attached to the images.  For information only, I took a screen capture of the EXIF data for the first image and uploaded it into the album as a jpg.  There are a few items at the bottom of the list that didn't make the screen capture.

Also, I sent some of the images via email to myself and downloaded them to my MS Surface travel computer, which also has DPP 4 installed.  When I open them in DPP4 on that computer, I have the same problem as on my main computer -- images cannot be recognized as "selected" by the Depth Composition tool in DPP4.  So if there is a problem it is not a data hiccup on one computer.

Shirley

It's just the first shot that is causing the error (all shots must have the same parameters). Remove that one and your stack will process. Not sure what caused that, maybe a test shot somehow was included in the folder? At least, I was able to process what you had posted after removing IMG_1791. You might want to open "View" and run through the rest.

*EDIT* Note that Focus bracketing is not enabled in IMG_1791.

Good luck,

Newton

Stack EXIF-Forum 5a.jpg

Thanks,  that is exactly what happened.  I did a test shot at the beginning and didn't leave it out.  (A more helpful error message would have been nice but it was definitely my mistake.)  I was able to process all the images in the focus bracketing sequence; however the final result was pretty awful.  I will try again with a simpler composition and see if I can get a better result.

I really appreciate your help today.  Again, thanks so much,  Shirley

Announcements