cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 RAW images blur out after fully loaded

Ted327
Contributor

Hello, new community member here.

Afforded myself an EOS RP w/ standard 24-105mm kit lens.

After downloading DPP4 and working a few basic editing features, I notice once the the spinning loading indicator at the right bottom corner is finished images are jumping back to being blurry.

Initially RAW image (CR3) is looking sharp and brilliant, adding sharpness as the spinning wheel gets smaller.

Once the wheel (loading indicator) stops, image flips to a blurred version of it.

This happens independetly from whether I make any adjustments or not.

Suggestions for solutions appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It seems that I have resolved the situation. Re-installed DPP 4.14.

I also deleted the batch of file transfers from my mac hard drive and copied them anew from camera SD card.

Doing so I noticed, the previous transfer from SD card to HHD may not have been fully completed.

The circular time clock in Finder didn't show fully loaded files. This may have been the issue to begin with.

Also, this particular image is not the best to do file and resolution analysis.

Thanks again, happy to be here. I love the Canon EOS RP w/ RF 24-105mm STM. Great all-a-round camera!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The sharp image is the jpeg preview embedded in the raw file. If it finishes up blurry it is because your default sharpness is not set high enough.

Thanks for the reply. I changed default settings for sharpness in preferences to max. It does not apear to make make a difference or solve the issue.

I did a firmware update on the 24-105mm stm lens. Will take the camera out shooting today and look at the results.

So far, I did edits in DPP4 and Lightroom from the same .CR3 files and differences are significant/visible, in favor of the Lightroom experience.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you post one or two RAW files of images that show that. Use DropBox or One Drive.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5o2oa2rluhvrc5/IMG_0864.CR3?dl=0 

This is the file I was working on. DPP4 is the only software I have to open a .CR3 file.

So I cannot show a comparison nor the progression when the file is loading upon opening.

Thanks for taking the time.

Hi Ted.

I'm not seeing what you describe.

I opened the file in DPP, applied DLO and AUTO for processing; kept the Landscape Picture Style.

The ridgeline is sharp and the antennas are clearly distinguished from the sky.

It looks like there was some atmospheric haze.

I don't see a problem with the image given the subject.

Screenshot 2021-08-10 061440.jpgScreenshot 2021-08-10 061640.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hello John,

thank you for looking into it. Yes, a good amount of atmospheric haze is present.

I was mainly looking at the foreground, the sticks on the right slope.

However, I cannot see the image as clean as your screenshots.

I will un-install/re-install DPP4 and see what happens.

Thank you.

here's the lower right corner area at 1:1. I brightened the image to make it more visible.

How far from the camera were the branches? Given where the camera seems to be focused you could be challneging the near depth of field limit.

Screenshot 2021-08-10 145150.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, John. You are correct. Aperature was open @ f 5.6.

I didn't take much time to prep the shot, should have stopped down.

I do believe though, the files were not fully copied from SD card to hard drive before starting the editing process in DPP4.

As I described in the previous post, it is better now.

I also have new images, starting to process soon. I will see how this works out now.

Thank you.

Announcements